Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lots of Questions

Motor-Rolla - '01 Toyota Corolla LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 28.3 mpg (US)

Gaia - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 19.78 mpg (US)

Gaia - Round 2 - '99 Toyota 4runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Lester: Normal Driving to "Hypermilling"

I decided to test out how I can do with the truck after I got it. The first tank I decided to set a base line to see what I can get out of it as if I was a normal driver. I accelerated relatively hard, didn't put it in neutral, etc. My mom even drove it for about half a tank, which means she probably drove it about 70-75, and more than likely with the A/C on, depending on how hot it was at the time. (I wasn't with her while she was driving) I ended up at 18.994 MPG. Rated MPG is 16/19/17 for city, highway, average. So almost 19 is not bad compared to what the rated is. But I know I can make it better...

So on the second tank, I put into effect the same hypermiller techniques as I would do for the Corolla (they're both automatic, so I can only do so much). I was in the middle of testing a theory on the Corolla, when it stopped working, so I continued the theory on Lester. My thought is that they both sustain around 2-2.1K RPMs at highway speed (60-65). If the best MPG is at highway, then surely I will get decent FE if I limit the times I go over that ~2K threshold while accelerating. So that with neutral coasting and timing lights, etc. I ended up at 20.244, exactly 1.25 MPG better than "stock"! The last day before I hit empty, I had to fight traffic, so I know it would have been better, even if only marginally.

Next I'm going to do the routine maintenance and tune-up the truck (new air filter, change the plugs, clean MAF sensor, etc.). Probably won't help MPG at all, but at least it will be "fresh". I don't know how the plugs look, but I don't know when they were changed last and if they are pretty bad, then surely that will help me gain a quarter point or so. The problem is that I am already over 100 miles into the tank, so I probably won't see as big a gain as if I were to do it at the beginning.

After that I will check and raise the tire pressure. I don't know what they are at now, but I will raise them and see what I get after. I'm thinking I will raise them to OEM + 5PSI and see what I get, then raise another 5 each tank until I get either a decline in MPG or a rough ride, whichever comes first.

25MPG here I come!!!

Best EM Quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
It has been said, that if you peel the duct tape back on Earth's equator, you'll find that the two hemispheres are held together with J B Weld.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9 View Post
subscribed with a soda.
Quote:
If you're burning,and someone throws gasoline on you,there will be a localized cooling effect, but you're still on fire.
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-05-2013, 09:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Some aero mods will help a fair bit, too!

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 09-06-2013, 12:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lots of Questions

Team Toyota

That's after! It's not actually my truck, so I have to take it easy, but I defintely plan on doing a few things (grill block, detachable kammback using the roof rails, etc.). This may help with my plans.

Low hanging fruit first!

Best EM Quotes:
Quote:
It has been said, that if you peel the duct tape back on Earth's equator, you'll find that the two hemispheres are held together with J B Weld.
Quote:
subscribed with a soda.
Quote:
If you're burning,and someone throws gasoline on you,there will be a localized cooling effect, but you're still on fire.

Last edited by jeff88; 09-06-2013 at 12:23 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to jeff88 For This Useful Post:
101Volts (09-14-2013)
Old 09-13-2013, 10:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lots of Questions

Team Toyota

Got the truck up another .4 MPG. I can't really say for sure what I did that made it better, maybe just less city driving. I do know that at times during this last tank that I was definitely not hypermiling. On one occasion I had mistakenly thought that my girlfriend started work 30 minutes later than she actually did, so we had 15 minutes to get there and it's at least 20-25 minutes. I had to do 75. I took it nice and slow on the way back!

Another day, my manager was sick, so I was trying to get to work as soon as possible so he could get home, so I wasn't driving crazy fast, but I wasn't doing 55-60 either, about 68 average. Again, on the way home...

I also had to deal with stop and go and slow and go traffic a few times, so I'm not sure how much good that did to the FE.

I did learn something new though. Below 25 or 30 MPH, putting the trans in neutral doesn't lower RPMs like my Corolla. Lester may not have as good of gas mileage, but stop and go traffic is a lot easier knowing I can just leave it in drive (because there is no benefit of shifting).

Best EM Quotes:
Quote:
Quote:
subscribed with a soda.
Quote:
Old 09-13-2013, 10:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lots of Questions

Team Toyota

For this tank, I am working on the tires. About 100 miles into the tank, I gave the tires a boost.

Toyota recommends: 32 Front & Rear
Sidewall max: 40 Front & Rear
PSI before: ~30 all the way around
PSI now: 35 all the way around

We will see how it does to the FE. Handling & ride comfort doesn't seemed to have changed, so if there is a positive change in FE, I'll see what max PSI does.

Best EM Quotes:
Quote:
Quote:
subscribed with a soda.
Quote:
Old 09-14-2013, 12:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Woody - '90 Mercury Grand Marquis Wagon LS
Last 3: 19.57 mpg (US)

Brick - '99 Chevrolet K2500 Suburban LS
Last 3: 12.94 mpg (US)

M. C. - '01 Chevrolet Impala Base
90 day: 17.09 mpg (US)

R. J. - '05 Ford Explorer 4wd
90 day: 16.66 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff88 View Post
That's after! It's not actually my truck, so I have to take it easy, but I defintely plan on doing a few things (grill block, detachable kammback using the roof rails, etc.). This may help with my plans.

Low hanging fruit first!
Thanks for that, It might be a good place to attach such a thing to a Caravan.

Reply  Post New Thread