Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2012, 01:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

My 91 crx slow build - step by step

Well, It's crazy to think I bought this car almost a year ago. For a 22 year old car, It's in good shape, with only a few dings here and there and a rusted sunroof panel. It's been sitting in front of the house just waiting for me to do something with it. Between being very indecisive, and my 99 coupe which is an ongoing big budget project, I hadn't made up my mind what to do with it, and hadn't set aside any funds for the CRX either.

Well I finally decided to get some fuel economy out of this car, so I began stripping out the interior. I hope to get some great gas mileage out of her while still keeping that sporty feel I've grown to love.

And now, a few pictures:

The day I bought it

Stripped the back half of the interior

OEM Honda rear wiper delete, my son helped out

OEM Honda antenna delete

Finally got the dash out

I know It's not the most fuel efficient motor, but it was soooo cheap I had to pick it up. D16Y8 from a 97 EX

I've got a few plans for this car, including lexan rear windows, custom fiberglass parts, and a full underbody from the front splitter to the rear diffuser, plus a few "racecar" type mods to keep it fun. Hope you guys enjoy the build!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-05-2012, 02:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Subscribed.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Aerofocus (retired) - '00 Ford Focus ZX3
90 day: 44.66 mpg (US)

The Red Baron (sold) - '93 Geo Metro
90 day: 44.1 mpg (US)
This looks like it will be a pretty good compromise between efficiency and sportiness. I'll definitely be watching this one.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Silver Bullet - '92 Nissan Sentra XE
90 day: 37.59 mpg (US)
That's a nice looking car, I love stripped out cars, easy to clean out with a garden hose and a shop vac.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Subscribed.

Thanks. Just as a general notice, there might be some time between updates due to my other project and working a bunch of overtime to pay for it. But stay tuned! I've got plenty of work ahead of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroJim View Post
This looks like it will be a pretty good compromise between efficiency and sportiness. I'll definitely be watching this one.

That is the plan. Sort of a "best of both worlds" build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3n3rgystar View Post
That's a nice looking car, I love stripped out cars, easy to clean out with a garden hose and a shop vac.

Lol. I actually thought about that, but I do plan on removing the seam sealer for stitch welding and the thought of water collecting between the body panels isn't very appealing.

Here's a picture for you guys to see the inspiration for the appearance of my build (with a few aero tweaks of course). I plan on painting it a popular Honda color, Vogue Silver Metallic (otherwise known as VSM)

Old 07-05-2012, 11:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Aerofocus (retired) - '00 Ford Focus ZX3
90 day: 44.66 mpg (US)

The Red Baron (sold) - '93 Geo Metro
90 day: 44.1 mpg (US)
Maybe someday, you'll convince yourself to throw a boat tail on that CRX and see what kind of MPG you can get. For now though, it'll be one good looking eco-sleeper
Old 07-06-2012, 07:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroJim View Post
Maybe someday, you'll convince yourself to throw a boat tail on that CRX and see what kind of MPG you can get. For now though, it'll be one good looking eco-sleeper

Haha... The way I've got it designed in my head using the stock CRX body lines, plus the few aero mods I have in mind, it will be kind of a snub-nose boat tail. Lol. I couldn't come up with any other way to word that.

ASIMO say FV€K high gas prices.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
ron
Master EcoModder

double eagles - '99 Dodge ram slt
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.48 mpg (US)
My son in law used acetone to melt the foam out of the unibody worth about 40lbs
Old 07-08-2012, 09:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Seems as if we are going for about the same thing with the same kind of car.. lol.

When you put that 1.6 in there you'd be suprised how helpful a simple vacuum gauge can be. That along with a long gear ratio transmission and you'll be right in the money..

I personally want a mostly stock appearing car with a makeshift bellypan (from a truckbed liner found on the side of the road) and a nose cone similar to the link below. Something that can be removed with painters tape so I don't look ridiculous all the time.. lol.

Modified Honda CRX HF Scores 118 MPG in Fuel Economy Run

Keep up the good work..
Old 07-08-2012, 10:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Wow... That's crazy. Looks like he had stock body panels and glass.

And the D16Y8 is more of a temporary setup until I can free up some cash from my coupe project. I want to try to replicate this setup, with a much lighter car I should see some great results...

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...rbo-11881.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron View Post
My son in law used acetone to melt the foam out of the unibody worth about 40lbs

I wouldn't mind trying this, but I'd be worried about rust after the acetone treatment. How long ago was this done? Any noticeable issues with it so far?

ASIMO say FV€K high gas prices.
Reply  Post New Thread