Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2009, 01:58 AM   #11 (permalink)
Chevy and CB Radio Lover

Send a message via Yahoo to Jammer
Smile Picture of where my rear car battery sits -Cobalt XFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Hehe... I get "quotes".

The pipe wrap is probably sufficient, except wholly unsuitable bacause of the amount of energy it would take. The converter would involve a loss, then you'd still have to burn the wattage for the strip itself. I'm honestly thinking that just insulating the box could allow the battery to keep itself warm from the first time you use it to crank.
Hey I'm sorta Baptist, so I hope you do not mind the quotes around your handle.

Here is a picture from my pic folder here that shows where my battery sits underneath the floor board of the rear trunk:

Yea I keep all of that mess underneath the false compartment out of sight. I like your idea of insulating it. I hope that is all I need to do. After tonight's test drive to raise my mileage I notice the colder the nights get, the dimmer my lights are getting when I drive in EOC. I have to do something soon. Your idea sounds like the best way to start. I did not realize those pipe wrap heaters pulled so much current- that's all I need is to smoke another DC to AC converter, there are a lot of cheapies on the market that do not have the amperage to power hardly a flashlight.

Last edited by Jammer; 09-30-2009 at 02:04 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-30-2009, 02:11 AM   #12 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Hey, your exhaust pipe runs somewhere close to that spare tire well, does it not?

There's a way to extract some of the waste heat, probably, if you can make a way to get the exhaust to heat that spare tire well.

When I saw that pic, I thought "weight reduction"... lol. I don't even carry a spare tire anymore in most of the cars I drive. Cara still has hers because I'm lazy and it's underneath her, thus not taking up room, but still probably hurting my aero. I'm going to get a few empty 1lb propane cylinders and fill them up to 150PSI and keep them in the back where the jack goes, since I bent the crap out of the jack about a month ago.

That way, if I get a flat, I'll have some air and I'll even keep a roadside plug kit (or a can of Fix A Flat) to get me home, at least.

About the name - it's actually my name. It's not pronounced how you think it is, either. Lots of people tend to think that it's some religious reference, especially on other forums... it's not. I'm agnostic, and I respect others' religious beliefs.

The "I" isn't a long "I" sound. It's a short "I". The best way to explain it is that it's like saying Crystal without the "al" at the end.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:53 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49 mpg (US)
Quote:
Hehe... I get "quotes".
I think it has to do with you never having been resurrected.

At least, I don't think so. I imagine the Savior wouldn't spend much time on a gearhead forum, but who knows?

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:21 AM   #14 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
I think it has to do with you never having been resurrected.

At least, I don't think so. I imagine the Savior wouldn't spend much time on a gearhead forum, but who knows?
Ever said that to a guy named "Jesus"? (Hispanic Name)

Old 09-30-2009, 01:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master Novice

Quote:
Ever said that to a guy named "Jesus"? (Hispanic Name)
No. But that's a cultural thing. Nor would I say it to anyone named Madonna, Mohammed, or Moses. Those folks are given their names by their parents, as a token of respect to their respective faiths.

You chose yours. Why?

Old 09-30-2009, 01:48 PM   #16 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
FYI, Christ is a perfectly legitimate (albeit increasingly rare) name
Christ - meaning of Christ name

And I wouldn't presume to know what anyone was thinking when they named their kids
elhigh (09-30-2009)
Old 09-30-2009, 04:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
Chevy and CB Radio Lover

Send a message via Yahoo to Jammer
Quote:
Hey, your exhaust pipe runs somewhere close to that spare tire well, does it not?

There's a way to extract some of the waste heat, probably, if you can make a way to get the exhaust to heat that spare tire well.

When I saw that pic, I thought "weight reduction"... lol. I don't even carry a spare tire anymore in most of the cars I drive. Cara still has hers because I'm lazy and it's underneath her, thus not taking up room, but still probably hurting my aero. I'm going to get a few empty 1lb propane cylinders and fill them up to 150PSI and keep them in the back where the jack goes, since I bent the crap out of the jack about a month ago.

That way, if I get a flat, I'll have some air and I'll even keep a roadside plug kit (or a can of Fix A Flat) to get me home, at least.

About the name - it's actually my name. It's not pronounced how you think it is, either. Lots of people tend to think that it's some religious reference, especially on other forums... it's not. I'm agnostic, and I respect others' religious beliefs.

The "I" isn't a long "I" sound. It's a short "I". The best way to explain it is that it's like saying Crystal without the "al" at the end.
To the point: My exhaust pipe is to the far left side on the bottom with a chrome end showing from the rear, it is several feet away from the right side of the car where the battery sits at. I like your idea, but as I say, I'm into electronics, and I am not very good with mechanical stuff. About all I ever did was change my plugs and wires. SO it would be a high challenge for me to re-route the exhaust pipe to keep the battery warm, given the distance between them. Shucks, that's something the engineers at GM should of thought of!

I know it makes little sense, but I have not found added weight to impact my mileage very much- not yet anyway. I drove my mother down to her home town in the far east side of Kentucky (mountains are close to West Va, very curvy roads) and I had not learned the art of driving in EOC yet, but my mileage was actually as good or better than I got without the added weight of about 200 pounds of stuff we both brought with us to set up in a house that nobody had lived in for a long time. I really expected the weight to impact my MPG, but it actually was about the same as driving without all of that weight. I still do not understand how that could of happen, but it did. Either way I like to be prepared for emergencies on the road, thus one reason I have a powerful CB Radio in my little car. In these parts it is all too easy to get stranded way out in the mountains and not even see a car go by.

I understand what your saying about your handle/name. But when reading it it's more likely to be pronounced in the Biblical manner, just like "Jesus" is a name of some Hispanics yet is not pronounced the way it reads to most Americans. There are plenty of other examples too, such as a famous river in Africa that is often pronounced wrong.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:58 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master Novice

I live in a pretty hilly region too, E TN. I had a tank or two that involved carting very full loads of firewood, about 1200-1500lbs which puts me over the limit when you add full fuel tank and my non-aerobic butt, and found that my mileage was really quite good. The truck climbed slower, but glided much, much longer and faster.

FWIW, my handle is simply my initials, verbalized. It's not terribly creative, but it is at least unique. Sorta.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:01 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master Novice

Jammer, you're killing me. Add your car to the Garage listing. Christ blows me away with his Caravan (God knows mine never did that well), I'm curious to know how you do compared to EPA.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:03 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
FYI, Christ is a perfectly legitimate (albeit increasingly rare) name
Christ - meaning of Christ name

And I wouldn't presume to know what anyone was thinking when they named their kids
Well, that sets me straight. I had no idea.

Okay, enough threadjack. Sorry, folks!

Reply  Post New Thread