Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2010, 05:05 AM   #61 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Can you tell us please in detail how you took off the roof rails?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-24-2010, 01:12 PM   #62 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StavrosCyprus View Post
Can you tell us please in detail how you took off the roof rails?
Start by prying the plastic end caps off (gently prying the sides away with a small flat screwdriver).

Each end of the rail is attached with two T30 torx screws. Once those are off, you have to cover the holes in the roof. As mentioned earlier, I first used coroplast, but then switched to pieces of scrap 0.6mm aluminum, left over from the wheelskirts.
I was afraid there might be a problem with water getting through the roof, but I took a close look inside the holes and decided that even if it does the roof's construction should take care of water. When attached the rail does not directly touch the roof but rests on a rubber seal, which is not as much to keep water out, but to keep loads and vibrations evened out. After almost a year (sun, downpours, 20cm of snow, temperatures down to -30°C) I see no signs of anything leaking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	railing.jpg
Views:	871
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	5980  

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
The Following User Says Thank You to Piwoslaw For This Useful Post:
weerrolf (04-04-2015)
Old 05-13-2010, 03:22 AM   #63 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

My first k-tank!!

I just got back from a 1020km work related trip to a few cities. When I filled up, I had 1666km (1041mi) on the odo Here are the details on my first kilotank:
The last fill-up was in the mountains, on a hiking trip with some friends. Distance back home: 550km with 4 people and a bunch of stuff in the trunk, but I still averaged 3.7 l/100km (63.5mpg).

Next were two trips to the city center. The first was midday (traffic), ~40km. The second was to a party, after which we drove some friends home, another ~50km.

I was hoping that I'd be able to do the whole upcoming 1000km worktrip on the rest of the tank, but I'd really have to push it, my best tanks so far were ~1400km, and I already had 650km on this one. But I mapped my route to minimize distance and speed, either avoiding traffic, or going where traffic can pass me. I folded my passenger mirror, pumped up the tires, and took out the rear seats, but I had 150kg of materials I needed for the trip.

I drove slowish, below the speed limit (which is an anomoly here). After the first leg of my trip my fc was 3.6l/100km (65mpg), but I noticed that my average speed is 60km/h, which is greater than when I drive at the speed limit with people in the car, getting 3.8-4.2l/100km (56-62mpg). But that wasn't enough for me, on the next legs I took hypermiling to the extreme: I drove even slower (so the average speed finally decreased) since I was in no hurry, spending most of the time in the 50-60km/h range, and often dropping to 40km/h. I rarely exceeded 80km/h, only if someone couldn't pass me. I lost some fuel with that, and with frequent stops on the shoulder to allow passing. I also lost some fuel turning around when my GPS would send me onto dirt roads or into a field with no road. I was a leader with many followers. Coasting, P&G and enginebraking - all the time, sprinkled with about 10km of EOC. The second leg of the trip got me 3.3l/100km (71mpg) over 250km, the third 3.1l/100km (76mpg) over 120km.

The longest, and toughest, drive was the return home - first in rush hour traffic, in hilly towns were I got lost (the GPS sent me to a point 3.5km away from where I should be, so I wasted 7km in traffic jams), then in a downpour and thunderstorm, then on a highway with more trucks than cars (very heavy traffic, almost bumper-to-bumper @ 80km/h), then I brake-checked a tailgating tractor-trailer, causing him to panic and almost swerve, then another T-storm in heavy high speed traffic after dark, then another. I got home at midnight, after 425km and 8 hours of driving, and still managed 3.3l/100km (71mpg), with the additional weight of two extra seats which I picked up that day.

On the way back the car's computer was showing that I should just make it home with a few km to spare, but since my gas station is another 15km away, I wanted to make sure I'll be able to get there the next time get in the car, so I stopped to buy 1 liter of fuel. I told the gas station clerk that it's not a joke, but he said he's had people buy even less. About 20km from home I still had 75km of range, but decided to fill up at a different station than my usual, just for piece of mind. I would have made it back home even without that 1 liter of fuel, but who knows what kind of traffic will be between me and my gas station when I finally get around to filling up. So I could have pushed it to 1700km. After filling up, the computer said that at the rate I've been driving, I could go 2000km on 1 tank If I get another chance (not in the nearest future), then I'll try...

I'm sure that my aeromods helped with my kilotank, but the main factor at play here was hypermiling. For both sincerely thank the EcoModder crowd Also, this would not have been possible if I hadn't been driving alone.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

Old 05-31-2010, 07:59 PM   #64 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Old 06-17-2010, 06:39 AM   #65 (permalink)
BigEco

Scepter Wagon Manual - '96 Toyota Scepter 2.2G SXV15
90 day: 27.41 mpg (US)

クレスタ - '93 Toyota Cresta Tourer S JZX90
90 day: 19.12 mpg (US)
That's a really good eco-modding project. Now I'm thinking of putting a kammback on my wagon as well.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:28 AM   #66 (permalink)
The PRC.

60 litre tank for 1000 miles. That makes over 75 mpg imperial. Wow.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:57 PM   #67 (permalink)
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
And to think i was impressed to discover a 500 mile range on the tank of my Maxima.....

Mind you, I have nearly double the engine displacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:27 PM   #68 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeTreeMech View Post
And to think i was impressed to discover a 500 mile range on the tank of my Maxima.....

Mind you, I have nearly double the engine displacement.
Sooooo (if I did my math correctly), if you swapped in the Smart ForTwo's diesel engine (0.8 liter turbodiesel), then you'd be doing 2000 miles before reimbursing the oil companies again

But then, "3 people in 2 don't know math".

Seriously, I tried hard to break 1000mi. in a diesel, so 500mi. in a gasser isn't bad

Old 07-09-2010, 08:28 AM   #69 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Solar roof insulated with foil

To reduce heat gain in the summer, I put a piece of aluminum-coated cardboard under the sunroof. Read here: Blocking the sun in sunroof.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:58 AM   #70 (permalink)
The PRC.

I picked up one of those reflective type windscreen blocks in Spain for 2 Euro which may be modifiable to what you need ? Its sort of card board (plastic) wrapped in some kind of printed foil with a pattern or logo on it.

Tags
grille block, kammback, peugeot, wheel skirts