Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2015, 07:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 126

Champagne - '13 Chevy Cruze 1LT
90 day: 33.35 mpg (US)
Thanks: 16
Thanked 21 Times in 18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
Is the top blocked as well ? You might get better results if you block the top instead. One of the members here did some flow testing on a car much the same as yours. ( I think his is a Chevy Malibu.The grille design looks identical to your car. )
The testing showed some detached flow right at the hoodline.
Im a little paranoid about blocking off the top one. The lower one is directed mainly at the intercooler and initially worried me as this is a turbocharged car (want to avoid hitting a lean condition and creating hot spots on the piston heads - I hear this is an issue with turbo engines that run too hot). Either way since the intake is continuous with the turbo, the warmer temperatures from the cold side of the turbo not being cooled down have definitely helped my fuel economy as Michigan is cooling down right now. I used the intercooler block all last winter but, as soon as spring arrived with warmer temperatures I began to run into predetonation issues I removed the lower block and the symptom went away.

That being said, I'm afraid I'd be pushing my luck with completely blocking off the top for the radiator unless you're talking about the faux grill that rests right beneath the hood which serves no purpose whatsoever except for 'asthetics?' If that is the case I will definitely make one up this weekend and give it a shot.

__________________

  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 11-05-2015, 08:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Wannabe hyper..., miler !
 
bikeprof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pagosa Springs & Phoenix
Posts: 185

White Variant - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDI ~ GLS- 4 Cyl

Minivan - '96 Chrysler handicap IMS built LXI

Insight - '10 Honda Insight EX
Thanks: 146
Thanked 24 Times in 20 Posts
Afraid to block off too much?
Leave ~two inches on each side and that'll create sufficient Venturi to cool the RAD enough, especially going into the winter.
Put slider(s) in there(looong pieces or the wind will take...!) and slide that to block on YOUR demand.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
Wannabe hyper..., miler !
 
bikeprof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pagosa Springs & Phoenix
Posts: 185

White Variant - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDI ~ GLS- 4 Cyl

Minivan - '96 Chrysler handicap IMS built LXI

Insight - '10 Honda Insight EX
Thanks: 146
Thanked 24 Times in 20 Posts
VERY, wait!
Where is that thing..?

Gorgeous is all I can say, "nice"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
Made from the rear spoiler of a 90's Subaru Legacy wagon.

This is the second Insight I fabricated this same kind of grill block for. It looks so OEM it's almost invisible, and Insights without one look funny to me now.

  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bikeprof For This Useful Post:
cowmeat (11-08-2015)
Old 11-05-2015, 08:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
Wannabe hyper..., miler !
 
bikeprof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pagosa Springs & Phoenix
Posts: 185

White Variant - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDI ~ GLS- 4 Cyl

Minivan - '96 Chrysler handicap IMS built LXI

Insight - '10 Honda Insight EX
Thanks: 146
Thanked 24 Times in 20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
Older version :



Newer version. In winter, I block off the right side with a flat piece ( with matching teeth )

:
HAHAHA; if you roll backwards, will the onlookers get dizzy with them hubcap psycho drawings turning against "normal" ?

More HAHAHAHA but nice job in and on your Honda.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 03:48 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
Eddie25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: south africa
Posts: 166

Fiesta - '06 Ford Fiesta 1.4 Ambiante
90 day: 45.9 mpg (US)

Dakar - '03 BMW f650 GS Dakar (retired)

Tucson - '07 Hyundai Tucson 2.0 GLS
90 day: 32.67 mpg (US)
Thanks: 172
Thanked 50 Times in 32 Posts
upper v.2

Click image for larger version

Name:	G6.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	19035
Click image for larger version

Name:	G7.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	19036

lower

Click image for larger version

Name:	2bg back 2.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	19037
Click image for larger version

Name:	3bg front.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	19038
Click image for larger version

Name:	4bg front 2.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	19039
Click image for larger version

Name:	8b close 2.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	19040

Average 0.3 L/100km gain on daily work commute. up to 0.5 gain on highway long distance trips
__________________



  Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eddie25 For This Useful Post:
BamZipPow (11-11-2015), Cd (11-06-2015), Istas (12-14-2015), MobilOne (11-08-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 04:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail
 
Cd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Austin,Texas
Posts: 3,033
Thanks: 2,258
Thanked 752 Times in 437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonMods View Post
That being said, I'm afraid I'd be pushing my luck with completely blocking off the top for the radiator unless you're talking about the faux grill that rests right beneath the hood which serves no purpose whatsoever except for 'asthetics?' If that is the case I will definitely make one up this weekend and give it a shot.
So the first grille opening just below the hood line is fake ?
If so, I would plug it, since from what I recall, this was causing some airflow disruption.
__________________
"You don't fail until you give up. You learn, and move on." - Christ

" Hypermiling is not going slow, it's driving with more intelligence." - UFO
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 04:23 PM   #17 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail
 
Cd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Austin,Texas
Posts: 3,033
Thanks: 2,258
Thanked 752 Times in 437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeprof View Post
HAHAHA; if you roll backwards, will the onlookers get dizzy with them hubcap psycho drawings turning against "normal" ?

More HAHAHAHA but nice job in and on your Honda.
Actually the spiral works both ways - going forward, or in reverse.
I wasn't the first person to do spiral hubcaps on Ecomodder.
Sven7 beat me to it, but I have had the idea for years.
I was inspired by M.C. Escher and the old hippie vans that had these.

Far
out
man
__________________
"You don't fail until you give up. You learn, and move on." - Christ

" Hypermiling is not going slow, it's driving with more intelligence." - UFO
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 07:21 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,084

Intrepid3.2 **RETIRED** - '00 Dodge Intrepid ES
90 day: 26.61 mpg (US)

Pacifica3.5AWD **RETIRED** - '04 Chrysler Pacifica Touring
Team Dodge
90 day: 20.74 mpg (US)

CTS 3.6 - '08 Cadillac CTS
Sports Cars
90 day: 26.69 mpg (US)

Traverse 2LT FWD - '12 Chevrolet Traverse 2LT
Thanks: 65
Thanked 218 Times in 146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonMods View Post
Im a little paranoid about blocking off the top one. The lower one is directed mainly at the intercooler and initially worried me as this is a turbocharged car (want to avoid hitting a lean condition and creating hot spots on the piston heads - I hear this is an issue with turbo engines that run too hot). Either way since the intake is continuous with the turbo, the warmer temperatures from the cold side of the turbo not being cooled down have definitely helped my fuel economy as Michigan is cooling down right now. I used the intercooler block all last winter but, as soon as spring arrived with warmer temperatures I began to run into predetonation issues I removed the lower block and the symptom went away.

That being said, I'm afraid I'd be pushing my luck with completely blocking off the top for the radiator unless you're talking about the faux grill that rests right beneath the hood which serves no purpose whatsoever except for 'asthetics?' If that is the case I will definitely make one up this weekend and give it a shot.
It all depends whether you do city or highway driving. I blocked roughly 75% of my grille. It got hot in traffic the other day with ambient around 70-75. With the temps under 60 i can safely stay under 205 most the time, occasionally hit 210.

Once it gets down around freezing i should be set. Only one tank thus far but i may gain as much as 10%!
__________________

  Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:54 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 126

Champagne - '13 Chevy Cruze 1LT
90 day: 33.35 mpg (US)
Thanks: 16
Thanked 21 Times in 18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa8907 View Post
It all depends whether you do city or highway driving. I blocked roughly 75% of my grille. It got hot in traffic the other day with ambient around 70-75. With the temps under 60 i can safely stay under 205 most the time, occasionally hit 210.

Once it gets down around freezing i should be set. Only one tank thus far but i may gain as much as 10%!
I agree with what you're saying. With colder temperatures coming I will not be as worried about doing a complete block of the radiator inlet. However, when it warms up I will definitely be more cautious. Does anyone have experience regarding lean conditions and turbocharged engines creating hot spots on piston heads and creating a hole through? Any info is greatly appreciated.
__________________

  Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:44 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,084

Intrepid3.2 **RETIRED** - '00 Dodge Intrepid ES
90 day: 26.61 mpg (US)

Pacifica3.5AWD **RETIRED** - '04 Chrysler Pacifica Touring
Team Dodge
90 day: 20.74 mpg (US)

CTS 3.6 - '08 Cadillac CTS
Sports Cars
90 day: 26.69 mpg (US)

Traverse 2LT FWD - '12 Chevrolet Traverse 2LT
Thanks: 65
Thanked 218 Times in 146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonMods View Post
I agree with what you're saying. With colder temperatures coming I will not be as worried about doing a complete block of the radiator inlet. However, when it warms up I will definitely be more cautious. Does anyone have experience regarding lean conditions and turbocharged engines creating hot spots on piston heads and creating a hole through? Any info is greatly appreciated.

I dont have any experiencewith forced induction, but your engine will never go lean unless there are component failures. Your o2 sensors will keep the fuel mixture in the correct range. Those horror stories are from people building and tuning engines.

I do know that there is some worry about the longevity of the turbocharger when engine off coasting, if there is not adequate time for it to cool down after a period of high usage.

__________________

  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ksa8907 For This Useful Post:
BrandonMods (11-08-2015)
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com