View Single Post
Old 04-26-2009, 11:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
NachtRitter
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
Hi Rob,

No, I can't say that it has improved my FE at all yet. I'm missing a key piece of information currently, which is either my instantaneous FE matched to the track (that would be ideal) or the average for the track. To that end, I'm going to install a MPGuino which will at least give me the average for the trip. I was then planning to use the HR (heartrate) field for tracking the trip average mpg, so that I can try different approaches during my commute (DWL, P&G, EOC, etc) to see what works best for the vehicle I'm driving. I've gotten fairly consistent FE during my commute so far, but don't know if what I'm doing now is necessarily giving the best FE. Despite being consistent, I still think that trying to do tank to tank comparisons allows for too much variation with weather, traffic, etc.

Ideally, as I mentioned, would be to have a way to capture the instantaneous FE throughout the trip so that I could compare point by point: speed, grade (of the road), and FE... and maybe even other data like TPS, IAT, coolant temp, etc if there was a way to capture that. The graphing and reporting abilities of the software have the capability to reveal some valuable nuggets of knowledge.

Mainly I wanted to post about the software because I think it has a lot of potential just as-is if there are others that already use an MPGuino plus a GPS. And if there is enough interest, then potentially there could be a community effort to bring together different existing Arduino projects - MPGuino, which already has code to output the data via serial port; an Arduino GPS shield; and an Arduino SD card shield for capturing data. Some innovative coding could bring it all together (says the guy in the peanut gallery). That by itself would be valuable, and then adding the ability to import into SportTracks to map the FE against the GPS data would be awesome!