View Single Post
Old 04-28-2009, 08:41 PM   #43 (permalink)
NachtRitter
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
Seems this thread has gone a bit OT...

I had originally interpreted the OP point to be something to the effect of: There should be a consistent method of determining FE for both electric and ICE vehicles. Put x amount of energy in, and get y amount of 'work' (measured by distance driven) out. Missed the part about assuming that the gasoline had to be converted to electricity so should knock off 50%. I don't think that makes any sense.

The WTW discussion is interesting, but does not / cannot address the question of mpg equivelance adequately. Once the gasoline is in my tank, the mpg value doesn't change as a result of the efficiency of the refinement process. But that is what mpg measures. Nor do the electrons in the battery cause the EV to go further if they were generated by wind versus by coal or gasoline. There is simply too much variance in the 'WTP' (well to pump, or 'well' to plug) to come up with a dependable number.

Not sure why it can't be as simple as agreeing on an energy equivalent between electricity and gasoline, and then measuring how much goes into the "tank". The charger connection is the measurement interface (just as the fuel pump is for the ICE) between two "black boxes"... doesn't matter (for the purposes of MPG measurement) what happened to create the energy before, nor how exactly the energy is converted to forward motion after. Agree on where the measurement takes place for EVs... before or after the charger. There, done.

I've always felt that EVs are better overall (when considering WTW), but trying to incorporate that point into an mpg equivelant measurement (which is not WTW to begin with) just won't work.