View Single Post
Old 05-05-2009, 03:17 AM   #50 (permalink)
roflwaffle
Master EcoModder

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunchosen View Post
spcns is not an option for the op.

He specifically said he couldn't be one of the first 500. So in that case he is automatically mandated to meet this years emissions for whichever category which means he has to have smog checks no matter what.
SPCNS isn't for just the first 500. The only difference is that the first 500 get to pick whether the emissions profile is based on the vehicle year or engine year. If taking a wheel off a Civic shell is enough to make it a MC shell, according to the CHP and BAR, thney could probably drop in a 1996 or whenever MC engine to make it a SCPNS MC from 96 or whenever. Heck, there's even something about removing the 500 vehicle limit, because there are a lot of kit cars from out of state registered as 65 Fords or whatever, since the DMV can't tell between a restored Ford and a kit Ford. Although I imagine they could still tell the difference between a car with three wheels and a MC.
Quote:
SPCNS might be the way to go but its not what the OP is asking.

A Salvage title gets around that. What I meant was drive down with a CA dmv registration to the BAR and get them to give you some form of notice that they approved of it as a salvage.
No way no how, at least IIRC, since a salvage title requires a CHP inspection. Not just any officer, but a VIN officer or whatever they're called, who does nothing but compliance, inspections, and tracking stolen parts. They will, nearly 100% fer sure, either send 'em to the BAR station to sort things out, or say no way jose.
Quote:
The reason to get the out-of-state title cleared through out-of-state DMV thats more lenient is they are only going to check and make sure its got turn signals and lights and plate holders.

If you get lucky the station will just hand it over. If not they will inspect it. Then its a toss up because there is no section of the regulation that says where this vehicle falls.
Sure there is. Unless it has a MC engine, and does not sufficiently resemble a production vehicle, it's not a MC. No MC engine=not a MC. If whoever does the inspection determines it's too close to an existing car model=not a MC. Even if the OP registers it from out of state, and gets by registering here, if they ever get pulled over odds are they'll get sent to the local BAR, who will abide by the same regs, except it'll be much harder to get something under their nose.
Quote:
Its a salvaged motorcycle with some of its parts and some parts from a donor vehicle.
In order for it to be a salvaged motorcycle it would have to be made of primarily MC parts, and it wouldn't be. It would have a car engine and 90% of a car body.

Quote:
Even in the toss up I'm banking it goes for MC. why? Because what percentage of the car has to be donated from what type to be an MC? What if I repair my motorcycle with car parts or a turbo from a car?
You can't use parts that aren't part of the original emissions spec, so that means no extra turbo unless it's part of a CARB approved kit. I imagine you could use car parts to repair a bike, but having struts, bearings, metal, or whatever from a car on a bike is a far cry from having a car that only has three wheels and maybe a MC swingarm/wheel in the back. If something is mostly a bike, meaning it has a legal engine and most of the frame is form a bike, then it's a bike. If it's mostly a car, with a car engine, even if it only has three wheels, then it's a car.
Quote:
The way to avoid inspection ad nauseam for them and you is what they currently do in most states.

If you have a salvage title and used some of the parts from the salvaged vehicle and are using its VIN then its classified as whatever the salvage was.
Maybe in other states, but not in CA in this case. If the vehicle is 90+% a car, then it's a car. It's only a MC if it's mostly a MC. The exeption is if the owner can get a SPCNS for it.
Quote:
Otherwise. . .what happens when you repair and engine with new parts? Its not a custom car its the same car with repairs. VIN and title mean just about everything.

Otherwise they would have to spend hours per vehicle they inspect.
Like I said before, slight modifications, even if they aren't legal, can go under the radar provided the car doesn't have to be smogged, and even if it does in some cases, but a car with three wheels registered as a MC isn't slight modification. It'll send bells off in the head of just about every officer who sees it.
Quote:
I didn't say you did say there were laws. I was pointing it out. The only laws about motorcycle structure are, lights plate holders, turn signals, brakes, three wheels or less. done.
They also have to have a CARB approved engine and the frame has to be accepted as a MC frame. It can't sufficiently resemble a car already built.
Quote:
If you look the regulations of no state say anything about what size or make the engine must be(except that if its smaller than 40-60 cc state depending its a scooter). They have comments about the emissions based on year but the engine is a year that is pre-smog for motorcycles. . .nevermind the fact its a Honda car engine because its now a (whatever brand the salvage bike is) Motorcycle engine because its attached to a VIN and a title that say so.
Pre-smog check doesn't matter, it still has to be a CARB approved engine for MCs, even if it doesn't have to get a smog check every year. A car engine that ain't. The only vehicles that don't have to legally comply with the factory, or equivalent, emissions specs, are pre-65 IIRC.
Quote:
They might not like it, but there is not much they can do. Its a motorcycle of model year(whatever the bike salvaged comes from). Thats what Titles are for more than anything. Yes they prove ownership but it also makes it quick and easy for the DMV to figure out what it is rather than having to weight how many parts are from what.
Of course they can. They send it to the BAR. The BAR says it can't be a MC unless it has a certified engine, or the current engine complies with the current MY emission regs, in which case it could be smogged anyway, so that's a moot point, or it has a MC engine from whatever year.
Quote:
This is why a good chunk of people who rebuild sports cars use the wheels off some other car and take its salvage title and VIN. Cheaper insurance and fewer regulation issues(In TN it doesn't matter but if you move it might).
Fooling insurance companies and state organizations are entirely difference situations. State Farm doesn't have officers that can send you in for evaluation if they see something out of place, the state of CA does.