View Single Post
Old 05-29-2009, 05:17 PM   #23 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
You're really playing on my horsepowerly emotional roots...

Yep, the Teg automatic will chirp the tires and handle like crazy -- revving to the 6850 RPM limit is a great feeling (and sound) from time-to-time.

But I did plant the ol' foot on the Prius during my 3 rentals. Every car I rent then review, gets as full of a test as possible: full-throttle accel, finding handling dynamics and grip, suspension response in a quick S-curve (parking lots generally) and overall power response (in additinon to everyday driving and Eco-Potential).

The Prius was tested in LA, Portland, and Portland-Yakima-Portland. During the first rental, I took it easy to get a high number. On the second time, I climbed the mountainous terrain and found some twisty roads to test the "Sport" aspect. The 3rd was in LA and I had to keep up with traffic. All with good FE and...

Surprisingly, power off the line is great with the electric motor + gas engine, and the CVT offers high revs and power when you need it. It feels tossable and light in the corners. A bit of body roll was there, but still planted.

No doubt the Fit will be the most sporty option. The problem is, my FE goal is to get considerably-better FE with each car purchase (until the curve flattens or, if technology allows, continue the trend). The Fit can't do that out of the box. The 75 MPG example is an outlier, I'm afraid. I just don't possess that kind of mad skillz.

I might still end up with one -- I still have to drive it to see if I like it or not. If I had to decide today, it's still the Toyota. If I have a need for speed, I'll borrow my Wife's car (or rent Mustang).

Good discussion so far. It's a big decision we all have to make, and the expert opinions here definitely help

RH77

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunchosen View Post
The thing about a Prius. . .for most people. . .

Is it won't go quickly if you ask it to. If I stomp My Del Sol to the floor it will go, screech the tires and the front end will bounce a little.

Driving even on ecomod is not ALWAYS about FE. Maybe it is for you guys but on occassions I love to go out and roll through the mountains with the gas mashed to the floor. I'll still get above 26 mpg doing this. . .while the prius if it does that gets sub 20. On the other hand I can crank 36-37 with light steady-state driving, with a few upcoming projects 54 might well be within range. . .

RH you could get a used Fit with AC. I'm sure there are some of those around somewhere(not from a dealer). If you could find a lightly used Fit from another consumer I'm sure you could pull them out for 12. The Fit gets alright gas mileage in stock state with moderately heavy driving, with light driving steady state, some cheap aero boosts, what reductions can be had, and maybe wheel skirts you can probably beat the Integ. . .

_
_