View Single Post
Old 05-31-2009, 10:54 PM   #42 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
I go out of town for the weekend, and you guys trashed the thread! JK...

I'll attempt to answer the comments in the order in which they were received...

Right now, new is out -- so that would mean the Insight-II is, also. It's just too much $$$.

Quote:
the Fit has a highway of 35, city of 28 and combined of 33.
That's what the Integra does now, modded. I have a feeling that getting at least 20% over EPA is going to take a lot of concentration, because of the electronic throttle would essentially be taking action on behalf of my right foot, through the ECU "committee". The TSX does the same. I like that foot-pedal-cable-throttle direct connection in the Teg. Apparently it helps emissions, so...ya know.

Quote:
Eye popping numbers are fun to produce, but they almost always = pulse & glide at a relatively low average speed + the entire bag of other tricks. Again, not exactly "mild eco-driving"!
Also, thanks to Darin for reminding folks that I'm setting the bar at 40.

Here's the harsh reality of my FE existence and a response to the speed discussion: I often drive 70+ (insert circa 1930's dramatic organ interlude here)...

Whatever FE I get, and however high I am over EPA, has resulted from highway trips that often top-out at 74 MPH (that's in a 70-zone, downhill) or stay in the 65 range. I can get close to 40 mpg in what I have now, but I have to slow down to achieve it (hence the term "Mild Eco-Driving"). Plus, maintaining momentum (and optimal FE) on hills at highway speeds requires a 60-65 mph commitment or slow to 50-55 during uphill scrub.

So there it is: take me to Eco-Jail

Wait -- I can still redeem myself!

...back to FE and emissions. I can't buy a car with an EPA rating close to (or less than) what I have now, with a clean conscience. I haven't been hanging around the FE community for a few years just to go backwards in FE out of the starting grid. I'd lament getting the behind the wheel of that car for years, or keep saying..."if only I had gotten the more efficient {insert vehicle here}". I'm actually going through the same thing right now, but with a lawn mower

As far as buying, now's the time (not tomorrow, but in the coming months). We're in "discussion and research" phase, which could take some time

...and I have to respond to this:

Quote:
Told you RH, you would get punished for abandoning Honda.

No you are not allowed back into the fold. PM don't let him back in the group!

Its ok we forgive you, everyone goes off and looks at other cars sometimes. Its alright we know you couldn't help it. . .We're just glad to have you back.
Don't forget, I have Admin powers hahahaha!!!! But anyways, thanks for the discussion and the welcome back. I've been working like crazy lately, so I cut my online time. It has leveled out for now, so it's good to check back in. The big thing on this whole Fit issue is that I recall someone buying one and ended up being really disappointed with the FE. I haven't heard much of that with the Prius. The hybrids just have the edge, which is too bad because I'd drive something with a small gas or diesel engine if it matched the FE/emissions here.

Plus, I need to offset my rental car assignments: I booked an "Ecomomy" car for this trip (combo work and family visit in Ohio) and got a Volvo S40 The 10 car-level upgrade was nice but geez. We have to use a specific rental agency that doesn't allow me to choose the specific car anymore. It's pre-assigned and takes an Act of Congress (and lots of time) to change. I had a Grand Marquis the other week. Do they think I'm 80?

RH77

_
_