Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2009, 10:28 PM   #41 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Told you RH, you would get punished for abandoning Honda.

No you are not allowed back into the fold. PM don't let him back in the group!

Its ok we forgive you, everyone goes off and looks at other cars sometimes. Its alright we know you couldn't help it. . .We're just glad to have you back.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-31-2009, 10:54 PM   #42 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
I go out of town for the weekend, and you guys trashed the thread! JK...

I'll attempt to answer the comments in the order in which they were received...

Right now, new is out -- so that would mean the Insight-II is, also. It's just too much $$$.

Quote:
the Fit has a highway of 35, city of 28 and combined of 33.
That's what the Integra does now, modded. I have a feeling that getting at least 20% over EPA is going to take a lot of concentration, because of the electronic throttle would essentially be taking action on behalf of my right foot, through the ECU "committee". The TSX does the same. I like that foot-pedal-cable-throttle direct connection in the Teg. Apparently it helps emissions, so...ya know.

Quote:
Eye popping numbers are fun to produce, but they almost always = pulse & glide at a relatively low average speed + the entire bag of other tricks. Again, not exactly "mild eco-driving"!
Also, thanks to Darin for reminding folks that I'm setting the bar at 40.

Here's the harsh reality of my FE existence and a response to the speed discussion: I often drive 70+ (insert circa 1930's dramatic organ interlude here)...

Whatever FE I get, and however high I am over EPA, has resulted from highway trips that often top-out at 74 MPH (that's in a 70-zone, downhill) or stay in the 65 range. I can get close to 40 mpg in what I have now, but I have to slow down to achieve it (hence the term "Mild Eco-Driving"). Plus, maintaining momentum (and optimal FE) on hills at highway speeds requires a 60-65 mph commitment or slow to 50-55 during uphill scrub.

So there it is: take me to Eco-Jail

Wait -- I can still redeem myself!

...back to FE and emissions. I can't buy a car with an EPA rating close to (or less than) what I have now, with a clean conscience. I haven't been hanging around the FE community for a few years just to go backwards in FE out of the starting grid. I'd lament getting the behind the wheel of that car for years, or keep saying..."if only I had gotten the more efficient {insert vehicle here}". I'm actually going through the same thing right now, but with a lawn mower

As far as buying, now's the time (not tomorrow, but in the coming months). We're in "discussion and research" phase, which could take some time

...and I have to respond to this:

Quote:
Told you RH, you would get punished for abandoning Honda.

No you are not allowed back into the fold. PM don't let him back in the group!

Its ok we forgive you, everyone goes off and looks at other cars sometimes. Its alright we know you couldn't help it. . .We're just glad to have you back.
Don't forget, I have Admin powers hahahaha!!!! But anyways, thanks for the discussion and the welcome back. I've been working like crazy lately, so I cut my online time. It has leveled out for now, so it's good to check back in. The big thing on this whole Fit issue is that I recall someone buying one and ended up being really disappointed with the FE. I haven't heard much of that with the Prius. The hybrids just have the edge, which is too bad because I'd drive something with a small gas or diesel engine if it matched the FE/emissions here.

Plus, I need to offset my rental car assignments: I booked an "Ecomomy" car for this trip (combo work and family visit in Ohio) and got a Volvo S40 The 10 car-level upgrade was nice but geez. We have to use a specific rental agency that doesn't allow me to choose the specific car anymore. It's pre-assigned and takes an Act of Congress (and lots of time) to change. I had a Grand Marquis the other week. Do they think I'm 80?

RH77

_
_
Old 05-31-2009, 11:11 PM   #43 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I think I am beginning to see some of the anxieties of ecomodding.

We beef up a car. . .and then when its time to either add a new vehicle to the fleet or replace an aging model. . .There is nothing that meets expectations.

That said Your Integra's combined is I think 27. Using mild techniques and some mods you get close to 40.

We have some users that have modded the Fit(Jazz) overseas and gotten mileage like that(not in Europe different fuel breeds big jumps right from the get go). I hear you on the new being out of the question but you can probably get them used. . .? I'm not sure exactly where you live(zip) but I ran a search through autotrader and dropped a few for 12K and less starting value.

If its got to start with 40mpg stock, the Fit is out, but I am pretty sure with deletes and aero you could get there
Old 06-01-2009, 01:16 AM   #44 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH77 View Post
Plus, I need to offset my rental car assignments: I booked an "Ecomomy" car for this trip (combo work and family visit in Ohio) and got a Volvo S40 The 10 car-level upgrade was nice but geez. We have to use a specific rental agency that doesn't allow me to choose the specific car anymore. It's pre-assigned and takes an Act of Congress (and lots of time) to change. I had a Grand Marquis the other week. Do they think I'm 80?

RH77
Tell them you pay for your own gas. Current rental (truck is having transmission work again) is a Yaris. They wanted to "upgrade" me to a Malibu and I got the Yaris after telling them that I want a small car because I'm driving a lot of miles and pay for my own gas.

Last rental they wanted to "upgrade" me to a Buick LaCrosse. When I pleaded with them, they gave me the Prius instead. :-)

Old 07-08-2009, 10:20 AM   #45 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Integrity - '01 Acura Integra LS
90 day: 34.27 mpg (US)

nighthawk - '06 Honda Civic Si
90 day: 28.76 mpg (US)
This thread is a bit old...but hopefully you haven't bailed on honda yet.

First and foremost...an automatic fit rated at 35 mpg on the highway, should be able to manage 40 mpg relatively easy just by driving respectfully and at the speed limit. I have had quite a few Honda's in my day and didn't always drive like I do now but I have always been able to beat the EPA's ratings...and now that they are rated even stricter, I can safely say its pretty easy to extract 5 mpg over the new EPA in a Honda.

Also, pretty much the same goes for a new Civic...except I won't recommend it because of the extra cargo space the fit and insight offer vs the civic.

Now the insight will easily give you your desired mileage and then some, it was a ton of cargo room and looks very nice. The only downside for you appears to be the price. I've already seen dealers discounting the insight $500 or more so you may be able to find a good deal. If I had to buy an automatic car...it would be the insight. If I was to get a manual one...it would be the fit.

but whatever you do...please continue to support the H.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:26 PM   #46 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Sports Cars

Team Honda

No decision has been made yet, but I'm leaning toward the Fit automatic.

We're still a few month away from the purchase, so there's plenty of time to mull things over.

If we really had the budget, the Insight-2 would be the choice. It's how much we choose to afford. The trick is to avoid that temptation to spend to the edge.

The more I drive Teggy, it's obvious the quality that went into its construction. I know Toyota is known for the same, but the design philosophy is different -- I like the driver-oriented interior and handling. I feel "at home" in Hondas -- but I haven't driven the Fit yet. From what I've read, it shouldn't disappoint. I've driven plenty of Toyotas for work, so I know what to expect there.

The next step is to drive the Fit and take along the SG. The rear door width and opening is key. I have back problems, so lifting "cargo" from the rear seats is important (OK, so have I given enough hints yet )

RH77

_
_
Old 07-09-2009, 09:18 AM   #47 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
baby?

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Old 07-09-2009, 05:56 PM   #48 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Sports Cars

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
baby?
You win! Yep, late December is the due date. It's officially official now, so I may as well be up front about the car purchase.

Needless to say, a 4-seater, 3-door hatch isn't going to cut it (sorry Teggy). I'm still working the numbers. I keep joking that the car choice is going on the gift registry Unfortunately, no "rich uncles" to pick up on it

RH77

_
_
Old 07-09-2009, 06:01 PM   #49 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
Congratulations! Yeah, I can't really imagine hassling with a non-4-door vehicle and a baby. I think you're wise to be thinking of a change.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Old 08-28-2009, 09:40 PM   #50 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Sports Cars

Team Honda

Insight and Fit Test Drive

So, I found some time today and test drove the Insight and Fit.

Insight: I pressed the ECO button and away we went. I like the CVT, auto-stop, and driving feedback indicators (green/blue speedo surround and "Eco-Meter"). Very comfortable seating position and compliant ride. Circuit: about 2 miles of city and highway. 36.4 MPG

Fit: It felt light on its feet and exuded versatility. Of course there was a lot of messing with the transmission selector to coast, downshift, etc -- didn't have to do that with the Hybrid. The seats were firmer, but I was comfortable. Handling was good; ride was firm but not too jarring. Same circuit, 42.3 MPG!

I drove the Fit more aggressively (yet carefully) and kept it closer to the 40 mph on the city course (35 for the Insight). Both cars were accelerated at WOT to get on the highway (construction merge: find the gap and go for it). I didn't get the chance to drive faster than 65 mph, but both did OK and didn't buzz around too badly at highway speeds. Both had the A/C running.

What gets me, is that the Insight was nearly on E with at least 80% batt charge. The Fit was full of fuel and was driven similarly to how I drive Teggy. What gives?

Could it be that I need to master the Hybrid driving style? ...Or go next door and take the Prius for a spin?

I like simple, and the Fit was the base model. My only 3 options would be auto, center armrest, and EBH. I don't need the Sport model just to add cruise control and keyless entry. I don't have them now and life is grand.

Back to the Insight, it was nice to just select D and go. It was the EX so it had paddle shifters to change ratios, but I have a feeling that fooling with that would kill the FE. I'd get the LX with an EBH as the only option.

They both (especially the Fit) had that "Honda Feel" that I've grown to appreciate. Even though the curb weight is the nearly the same between the Integra, Insight, and Fit, Teggy felt HEAVY to get going. Perhaps it's age-related.

But anyway, can I justify $3000-$4000 more just for a Hybrid? Or should I?

So, tomorrow I'll probably head over to the Toyota dealer to drive a Prius.

I know I may regret the taller gearing in the Fit, but what's your take? I'm completely sold on the 5-door design...

RH77

_
_

Last edited by RH77; 08-28-2009 at 09:44 PM.. Reason: 5-door comment
Reply  Post New Thread