View Single Post
Old 06-13-2009, 05:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
JacobAziza
Master EcoModder

Big Orange Work Truck - '83 Ford F-250
90 day: 27.54 mpg (US)

Jessica's - '04 Toyota Matrix
90 day: 41.21 mpg (US)

Ninjette - '01 Kawasaki Ninja EX250R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
So, in an effort to figure out what one of the three wires controls the field strength, I started pulling fuses. As it ends up, the '10A gauge' fuse is the one that disables the field. Unfortunately, it also disables my gauges cluster.
Just disassemble the 3 wires on the separate connector.
Chances are they separate out on their own on one end or the other (either at the alternator or voltage regulator).

If they are all in one connector on both ends, you can usually get the crimp ends out of the plastic connector with a tiny screwdriver. The crimp ends are held in place by having a little bit of the metal bend and catch the plastic. If you slip a tiny screw driver in, you can pull the wires out w/o breaking them.
Once they are separate, disconnect one at a time and see what happens. Which ever one makes the battery voltage (or ammeter) fall, you found your field circuit.
Put the other two back in the connector and reattach them.

The other one can either be left off altogether; what I did is cut that wire in the middle, splice in a much longer wire, and put it on a switch on the dash so I can engage the alt from the cab if I have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
A few months ago I returned home just as my neighbor pulled into his driveway. It was cold (around freezing) with some rain and sleet, and he yells to me: You rode your bike? In this weather?!?

So the other day we both returned home at the same time again, only now the weather is warm, sunny, with no wind. And I yell to him: You took the car? In this weather?!?