View Single Post
Old 06-27-2009, 02:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
roflwaffle
Master EcoModder

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
roflwaffle -

There's an old statistic I got from my Urban Planning class back in the 1980's. In most urban situations like Los Angeles, 50% of the automobile air pollution comes from 10% of the vehicles, aka the "gross polluters". Sounds like the legislation is hoping to get to these automobiles (1976 or older). I see (or smell) one every day on the freeway. There's a "gross polluter hotline" that you can call to report them (1-800-Cut-Smog). I've written down license plates every now and then, but never made the call.

If my Dad still has his 1972 Chevy Impala, this might have been a good way to unload it.

CarloSW2
This presentation has a graph showing that 62% of emissions are coming from 20% of the LDV fleet, so it looks like you're spot on cfg. I haven't written down a license plates yet, but if I see another "chipped" diesel pickup get on the throttle and spew unburnt fuel across the freeway I would certainly be tempted to. What's so hard about installing a bigger turbo if they wanna burn more fuel?

Anyhoo, if my old Toyota pickup gets picked I'd seriously consider the idea since I'm "low income" and $4000 in cash/vouchers would put me about $1000+ away from a 2002/2003 Tacoma w/ a measly 100k miles on it. My 250k mile pickup probably needs about grand in suspension and engine work anyway, so it'd certainly be a nice trade.