View Single Post
Old 06-29-2009, 01:09 PM   #30 (permalink)
elhigh
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.26 mpg (US)
That's the 2RZ engine. The 22R was never rated that high, even when turbocharged. Too bad, I tend to prefer the old 22R over just about everything else. But hey, at $200, I'd probably be pretty flexible, too.

I think you are on the right track looking for taller rear end gears. Even with the modest output of my truck's engine, I know there's enough torque for it to lope along at a much more relaxed pace for cruising than it does. A longer gear can't hurt. Don't forget to adjust the speedo sensors.

I'm pretty sure that the LSD wouldn't have any effect on your mileage at all. A nicely set-up one can sure make you wonder whether you ever needed 4WD, though - I've seen lots of offroaders get farther off road with a smart LSD or locker setup, than guys with 4WD. It helps if you're not an idiot about your offroading, though.

If you're feeling crafty, you could probably sell the bed, and fab up some lightweight aero-friendly cargo space. You'd probably have a tough time making it capable of carrying everything the chassis can handle, but if you're trying to make a thrifty runabout, building a full-width, full-height kammback to smooth the airflow would be huge.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.