View Single Post
Old 02-26-2008, 01:11 AM   #17 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
The Rental Secret

Quote:
Originally Posted by roflwaffle View Post
Show us yer math if ya would. I don't think so, but maybe you know the ins and outs of rentals better than I.
OK, there's a lot cost analysis, so allow to be brief. First, I don't have room for multiple vehicles. Next, let me check the latest on rental vehicles:

Major hardware outlets rent a pickup / stake truck at about $20 + mileage for several hours (or Enterprise "Rent-a-Van" or U-Haul has one for about $50 for a day). I found a 15-passenger van last year to transport a group of "pre-marriage party folks" for about $40/day from a local truck rental company.

Of course, I cheat and get free days because I drive like 2-3 different cars a week for work -- so for me it works like magic. But when I didn't have the free days, it was still cheaper. When we go out of town, I'll get a weekend special on a 4-cyl. sedan for $20/day or less (which to me is worth the wear and tear on a newer car)...or a Mini-Van for 5+ of the fam on long trips. We travel a lot (for work myself, or taking the fam on road trips).

All of this = no registration, no addl. insurance (unless you opt for the sales pitch), no monthly payment, and you're not locked-in to commuting in a beast. $$$ in in the bizzank.

Just go to websites of the previously mentioned companies or Orbitz.com and compare vehicle prices for your area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattW View Post
I just wrote a blog the other week about more or less the same thing. For some reason we think that our cars need to be able to do everything and are therefore not very good at any. It's hilarious watching ads with Volvo station wagons full of mountain climbers or Jeeps splashing through rivers as if that's what all the drivers use them for. Most people buy them because they want to feel safe around the city or like to feel the potential to be adventurous (sorry to any actual mountain climbers or frequent river crossers). If you aren't using your vehicles full potential then downgrade to something you can make the most of. Your idea of multiple cars would be even better if you could share your pick-up with some other close friends, it would be unlikely that you would both need one at the same time. Then you can have 2.5 cars, a commuter, a holiday highway cruiser or people carrier and half a pick up.
I completely agree. Save the bucks and get what you need, when you need it...

RH77

EDIT: Thanks to Treb for actually doing the complete Math and equivalents

_
_

Last edited by RH77; 02-26-2008 at 01:14 AM.. Reason: Thanks while I crunched the numbers