View Single Post
Old 08-21-2009, 02:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
orange4boy
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
Noisy rear end problem in the Previa.

And it's not the beans...

The Previa has a rear end issue. I found a possible solution on the net with a loose pinion nut but I tightened it up and I'm still getting the roaring noise especially at highway speeds. I replaced the end seal at the same time because it was leaking badly. I wonder if it could just be the pinion bearing. I can feel a roughness when I rotate it by hand. It's so loud I'm beginning to worry about my hearing. I'm contemplating replacing the pumpkin. I guess I should try to get a peek at the gears to see if I can see any damage. I know the sound and feeling of a bad bearing and it seems to be similar but it could be the diff, I suppose. Is there any way to be sure without dropping the whole thing? Can a bad diff cause poor FE?

The good news is I found a rear drum dragging which I loosened up so that should help with the FE.

Hope your vehicles are running smooth.

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.