View Single Post
Old 08-24-2009, 10:32 AM   #41 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,963 Times in 3,606 Posts
RIP massive cardboard air dam

FYI, the air dam was transported to Fonda, NY for this weekend's AMEC fuel economy competition, then installed ... I mean duct taped on the car the evening before.

The forecast was for possible rain, so I covered the outside of it with black plastic (garbage bags) and duct tape to protect it as much as possible. It looked much better in black, I have to say. Factory! (OK, no.)

I know Ben got a pic of it in black, so hopefully that'll get posted.

The rain happened during the night before the run; it was still structurally sound in the morning and during the event, though the lower corners were a wee bit soft.

So it served its purpose for the competition, and then met its demise on the way home: I drove through two serious rainstorms last evening and it eventually self destructed into a flapping mess of duct tape-coated mush! I stopped somewhere north of Boonville to pull it off and reinstall my normal grille block.

FYI, I also cut a center section of the bottom part of the dam before the competition, making higher ground clearance in the middle, like the Calibra and the latest gen Honda Civic's air dams. Probably removed as much total frontal area as a single door mirror.

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget