View Single Post
Old 08-28-2009, 09:40 PM   #50 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Insight and Fit Test Drive

So, I found some time today and test drove the Insight and Fit.

Insight: I pressed the ECO button and away we went. I like the CVT, auto-stop, and driving feedback indicators (green/blue speedo surround and "Eco-Meter"). Very comfortable seating position and compliant ride. Circuit: about 2 miles of city and highway. 36.4 MPG

Fit: It felt light on its feet and exuded versatility. Of course there was a lot of messing with the transmission selector to coast, downshift, etc -- didn't have to do that with the Hybrid. The seats were firmer, but I was comfortable. Handling was good; ride was firm but not too jarring. Same circuit, 42.3 MPG!

I drove the Fit more aggressively (yet carefully) and kept it closer to the 40 mph on the city course (35 for the Insight). Both cars were accelerated at WOT to get on the highway (construction merge: find the gap and go for it). I didn't get the chance to drive faster than 65 mph, but both did OK and didn't buzz around too badly at highway speeds. Both had the A/C running.

What gets me, is that the Insight was nearly on E with at least 80% batt charge. The Fit was full of fuel and was driven similarly to how I drive Teggy. What gives?

Could it be that I need to master the Hybrid driving style? ...Or go next door and take the Prius for a spin?

I like simple, and the Fit was the base model. My only 3 options would be auto, center armrest, and EBH. I don't need the Sport model just to add cruise control and keyless entry. I don't have them now and life is grand.

Back to the Insight, it was nice to just select D and go. It was the EX so it had paddle shifters to change ratios, but I have a feeling that fooling with that would kill the FE. I'd get the LX with an EBH as the only option.

They both (especially the Fit) had that "Honda Feel" that I've grown to appreciate. Even though the curb weight is the nearly the same between the Integra, Insight, and Fit, Teggy felt HEAVY to get going. Perhaps it's age-related.

But anyway, can I justify $3000-$4000 more just for a Hybrid? Or should I?

So, tomorrow I'll probably head over to the Toyota dealer to drive a Prius.

I know I may regret the taller gearing in the Fit, but what's your take? I'm completely sold on the 5-door design...

RH77

_
_

Last edited by RH77; 08-28-2009 at 09:44 PM.. Reason: 5-door comment