View Single Post
Old 08-31-2009, 05:08 PM   #20 (permalink)
Clev
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
There's usually a fair amount of space between the bed and drive shaft, but surely not enough to put in a 9" WarP or anything like that.

The other problem you'd face there is with suspension. You'd have to have a 2-piece driveshaft, with one piece being hung to the frame so that it didn't move with the suspension, to keep the chain from binding/skipping.
I'd say this is pretty much what you're looking at. He has a full-size Chevy truck, so the motor would probably clear the bed (or at worst, maybe he'd have to put a little hump in the bed over the motor), and beyond that, it's a question of turning the driveshaft into two driveshafts with the motor between and the various ends hung so they're at the correct angles.

As far as freewheeling the motor when it's not being used, I remember from the EVDL that there's no problem doing this as long as you don't overspeed it. You can check with Jim Husted on the EVDL, but I'm pretty sure that the shafts on the ADC can handle the torque from the engine.