View Single Post
Old 09-02-2009, 07:56 PM   #279 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alohaspirit View Post
kindly explain what everythings for
I'll do my best -- clockwise around the Steering Wheel:

-On the Wheel: handheld HAM walkie
-TTY/Tune box (black with red X): likely receives radio text transmissions and converts it to readable print, it may run off of the radio unit above that, which is a high-end HAM radio.
-Above that is a sqaure speaker (just to the right is another handheld radio)
-Another high-end HAM radio identical to the one hooked to the TTY
-The grey unit is a "Cross-Band" repeater radio. Using a radio outside of the vehicle, the input is boosted to another frequency. Popular with the handheld (in this case the input is 144.390 MHz, output is 146.625 -- popular for use with the handheld unit on the wheel, if outside the car).
-At the top is a scanner or high-end CB radio
-To the right of that is a radar detector -- now we're getting somewhere
-3 more Cross-Band HAM radios (down to the righter-most part of the wheel) -- these can also be used to transmit on one frequency, press a button, and quickly transmit on the other frequency. (How does 1 person do all of this ???). They also might transmit other data. Expensive choice, though.
-Bottom Right: 2 types of mobile phones (one looks to be a satellite phone, maybe).

Dashboard / Speedometer Area:
Yellow/White boxes = speakers.
Red push buttons likely control speaker input

Dash-Top:
-Another Scanner
-Some sort of huge device is next to that (need help with that one) -- it could receive and transmit TV signals over HAM bands).

Passenger Seat:
-Just above the gray phone is a real-time radar screen
-With another one just barely in view to the right of that

Other Observations:
- The vehicle is Red with yellow lights in the hood -- this stuff generates a LOT of heat and draws Amps like crazy, so the engine has to be running and probably has a heavy-duty alternator -- the hood probably has to be up when it's all running and stationary, which would make the yellow lights visible. I thought it might be a County Mobile Command Center, but the radar detector says more like "storm chaser"
- Out of view is likely a laptop computer

I personally have 3 of these items that are a 1-tenth the value of any of this stuff: a 10 year-old mobile radio like above the "Red-X", a cheapo CB and a mobile walkie like what's stuck to the wheel. They're all mounted to a board with a handle, so I can pick it up, move it to another vehicle, and belt it in.

This is a bit overboard. I would mount everything in a tower to the right of the driver, or get a van and some friends to help out!

RH77

_
_
The Following User Says Thank You to RH77 For This Useful Post:
JacobAziza (09-02-2009)