View Single Post
Old 10-04-2009, 10:18 PM   #111 (permalink)
Jammer
Chevy and CB Radio Lover

Send a message via Yahoo to Jammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Jammer -

I don't know if it is in the tips, but there was a book in the 1950's on high MPG driving, and one of it's principles was "Drive the Road Ahead". Regardless of the book, I think this is a universal driving rule. It applies to safety as well, i.e. looking for ways to escape accidents.

Does the Cobalt "figure out" you are in EOC when you drive and increase your MPG AVG display accordingly? That would be an accidental bonus if true.

CarloSW2
Sorry if my words are just common sense that most of us know. I just thought it was worth saying there is a connection with looking as far ahead in front of you as you can. That way one can slow down well ahead of a red light, then when it turns green you can bump start and keep on moving without every having to come to a complete stop. for ex. (If traffic allows one to drive in such manner, if I have somebody on me in a hurry I try to either let them get around me or I will speed up for their sake- We have a few people here that work really strange shifts so some may be going to work while others are going to bed, and one yet is the younger ones going to the large college in town may be running late for class. The local police have mostly been good to me (except for one state boy that was just rude to me during a sobriety check and he tried to "scare the truth" out of me, but there was nothing to confess too. This guy looked as if he was on steroids with arms bigger than my legs and a military flat top.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by your question about my car figuring out I am in EOC. I can, however explain what I know: As soon as I turn the car off/on I double check my RPMs because if I turn it back on too soon it will remain burning gas in idle mode at about900 RPMs. All of the electronics seem to work while in EOC, including the complete dashboard. From all I can gather the Odometer and MPG AVG treats EOC the exact say way it does when driving with the engine on- I can not tell where the Average is any different for EOC- So a fast way of raising the average is to find places to drive to on routes I can run at least 1/3 of the time in EOC. During rush hour when I am at a major intersection I turn my engine OFF while paying strict attention to the light and I try to either bump-start or use the key to have my engine back on a second BEFORE the light turns green.

I also tend to cruise in neutral with the ENGINE ON a lot. I find that in many situations it is unclear as if going to EOC will help, so I coast as long as I can with the engine at idle RPMs, then I decide to either gain speed and then switch to EOC, or keep on going to 5th gear and then to neutral. I think we need an acronym for Engine ON while Cruising, because I strongly believe this method of driving helps MPG as well. If nobody else has a term for it may I suggest one, such as: EONC=Engine on while Cruising in Neutral... ?? ey? OR HAS IT ALREADY BEEN COVERED? BECAUSE I HAVE YET TO DIG UP SUCH A TERM YET.

If I understand your question correctly your asking me does my AVG MPG computer still calculate the same as with the engine ON when in EOC, and that answer is an obvious YES. And it seems most spot-on to me.

If their is NOT yet a term for it, May I submit the term "EONC" as meaning "Engine ON while cruising in Neutral? I drive in this manner a lot because my Cobalt will roll on forever it seems, which I credit the low resistance tires too. I must admit, I used to be hungry for a Hybrid, and despite my Buy American ways, I do have a lot of respect for cars like the Toyota Prius and 2010 Honda Insight Hybrid, along with the Ford and a couple of G.M. Hybrids. I never dreamed that the tips on this site, along with avoiding the 70MPH zone as much as possible could get me to the same and/or better mileage than the EPA numbers for some Hybrids. It's pretty cool when I think of the fact the Hybrids cost right about double what mi car did, with mileage in the same ball bark (EPA numbers). Im sure people driving Hybrids that also do hypermilling are way ahead of me. But I am really happy to get what I am now getting, and now I am still practicing driving this way as safely as I can.

Peace.

Last edited by Jammer; 10-04-2009 at 10:29 PM..