View Single Post
Old 10-14-2009, 05:43 AM   #26 (permalink)
Twerp
Modified Driver

Frozen Tundra - '03 Toyota Tundra 4WD SR5 Access Cab
90 day: 26.51 mpg (US)

Red Skateboard - '91 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 45.49 mpg (US)
Every now and then someone comes along who very very very obviously knows what he is talking about. I would say that JJW has demonstrated that he has a pretty solid working knowledge of EMF, to the extent that he is up to date on what the scientific community has to say about it. He has supplied numerical data that clearly demonstrates that levels of EMF inside of a hybrid are less dangerous than other sources people regularly get exposed to outside the car. Given that EMF sources have been around since electricity has been invented, and that the life span of the average human being has increased dramatically since then, I'd say we are pretty safe from ill effects of the mild EMFs out there.

On the list of things that freak the crap out of me, I'm more worried about diesel fumes, smog, inhaling scented oils from air fresheners, solar radiation, carcinogens in plastics being transferred to my foods, second hand smoke (cigarette and otherwise), lead poisoning holes in the ozone layer, global pollution, arsenic in the water supply (it occurs naturally), carbon monoxide and all the other things that are going to cause me to die of cancer or otherwise. Oh and I'm still at the bottom of the list. Let's face it, out of the potential causes of death and illness, why not focus on just avoiding the big ones instead of becoming paranoid of things that haven't been proven to do any harm? If you really go out of your way to avoid the truly harmful things along with the ones you don't understand/are unproven/exist in science fiction medical journals/are proclaimed harmful by religious groups like the Scientologists/are just too progressive for your stone-aged imagination, you'll end up living in the woods, wearing a tin foil hat and dying of cancer anyway. Or, if you like hybrids, go get one and drive it. You'll be fine, trust me.