View Single Post
Old 10-15-2009, 01:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Lost Fall, Oil Issues

This is more of a complaint/rant, so bear with me (others may build on this)...but we went from Summer -> Early Winter with no classic KC Fall.

We have been 23F colder than average for October (and currently no sun for 120 hours and counting). Needless to say, FE took a huge hit. Even with a grille block, rad sandwich insulation and no PS, we're back to EM baseline last tank (around 33 MPG).

Speaking of which, Armstrong "PS" is getting harder with the cold and jolting bump-steer is the norm. Late 30's startup and 40's for operation is too early. Terrible road construction in Kansas left exposed railroad tracks and a huge suspensional collision yesterday. Now the alignment is screwed-up and it's tough to track straight. Tire rotation (got a cheapo impact wrench) and an alignment is in order (can't do that in the home garage) The overlinflated tires are fine, thankfully. Lost a little air.

They have a "Bump" sign for a mild road replacement plate, but nothing for a suspension bending grade crossing (what's with that -- every State does it). While I'm ranting, they also have lane closure signs for lanes that won't be closed for hours. KDOT can, well, nevermind.

About the oil.

I must have been stuck the 90's or something, but I inadvertently bought 10W-30 for a 5W-30 application (bought oil for the In-Law's Civic, and forgot my own viscosity!)

The extra cold-weather thickness can't be good for FE either, but the EBH has to help.

Combine the weather and my own accidental stuff and we have a some FE issues. So that's it.

/Rant

So I rented a Prius II last week. Cool stuff. (Gotta end on a positive note).

RH77

_
_