Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2009, 01:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Lost Fall, Oil Issues

This is more of a complaint/rant, so bear with me (others may build on this)...but we went from Summer -> Early Winter with no classic KC Fall.

We have been 23F colder than average for October (and currently no sun for 120 hours and counting). Needless to say, FE took a huge hit. Even with a grille block, rad sandwich insulation and no PS, we're back to EM baseline last tank (around 33 MPG).

Speaking of which, Armstrong "PS" is getting harder with the cold and jolting bump-steer is the norm. Late 30's startup and 40's for operation is too early. Terrible road construction in Kansas left exposed railroad tracks and a huge suspensional collision yesterday. Now the alignment is screwed-up and it's tough to track straight. Tire rotation (got a cheapo impact wrench) and an alignment is in order (can't do that in the home garage) The overlinflated tires are fine, thankfully. Lost a little air.

They have a "Bump" sign for a mild road replacement plate, but nothing for a suspension bending grade crossing (what's with that -- every State does it). While I'm ranting, they also have lane closure signs for lanes that won't be closed for hours. KDOT can, well, nevermind.

About the oil.

I must have been stuck the 90's or something, but I inadvertently bought 10W-30 for a 5W-30 application (bought oil for the In-Law's Civic, and forgot my own viscosity!)

The extra cold-weather thickness can't be good for FE either, but the EBH has to help.

Combine the weather and my own accidental stuff and we have a some FE issues. So that's it.

/Rant

So I rented a Prius II last week. Cool stuff. (Gotta end on a positive note).

RH77

_
_
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-15-2009, 01:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
RH77 -

Poor Teggy. I'd hate to think what would happen to my SW2 if I had to deal with harsh winters.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 10-15-2009, 01:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
If you have greaseable components in your steering system, through pack them with synthetic grease with a lower freeze point. It'll help your steering.

It takes a little bit of work, but you basically have to remove each part from it's mounting, pack them until the old grease leaks out everywhere, and wipe it all up before replacing them in their mounts.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
Your complaints. It makes my little my sister seem manlier. just kidding.

I am in maine, we got ice snow and 60 degree south winds at the same time. Keeping the car from popping like a failing tin can (yes even an 87 subaru) has been my mig welded outrageous goal.

As far as extremes and the rest of america..it is easily prophecied.

I keep an eye on oils, new stuff. crazy dynamics is a must have defended in the oil. (I spotted castrol edge recently for example- synthetic is still a bit of a exxagerated falsity).

Struts lose memory in cold snaps, even high end brands...although..high end is still a better choice.

tires? go for extremely high treadwear rating, they grumble, thump and pretend out of balance sometimes..but all prevails again...

windshield wipers. they all suck. no matter what. I used to work on 707 airplanes...now there is some wipers I'd like to have...

keep waters out and vent with a trickle open...never shut the car completely. most trunk going sedans need not worry, hatchbacks however...

exhaust systems. holy cow. oem is a nightmare...

steel in general. it is fender guage in fancy shapes doing big work, successful in death valley and australia...everywhere else however...

and lastl, but not least..Fuel Injection Sucks.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Sports Cars

Team Honda

OK. I throw out the complaint because Fall returned to above-average temps, but the issue remains.

This may be more than obvious, but it probably bears mentioning...

I had the first outdoor "cold" start today (temps last night 15F; temp at time of start 30F; Coolant temp registered 35F).

Briefly after starting, the oil pressure light blinked, leading me to believe that the 10W oil (mixed with a band-aid of 1q of 0W-20 Synth) isn't thin enough to get pumping in the cold, right away. It also cranked much slower, likely since the 8 year old battery is tired, and the fluids were more viscous.

So then, it begs the question: after 1500 miles, do I bite the bullet, say I messed up with the wrong oil, and just change it out? I could probably save it for next summer, unless it "goes bad" or something. Better yet, "CL: 10W-30 Motor Oil, one owner, low miles. Free to a good home"?

If I change it, do I go with a higher-mileage formula, synth blend, all of the above???

Speaking of whining I think I put the PS belt on too tight and a pulley bearing is noisy at low RPM.

RH77
(...is going out to the garage fiddle with the belt)

_
_
Old 12-04-2009, 06:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Driving the TurboWeasel

Eh, the 10w oil wasn't cold enough to affect things too badly. It was likely the old battery.

If it makes you feel any better, get some $20 synthetic 5w-30 or 5w-20 and change it.

Or dump in a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil. Some swear it helps cold-weather starting.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Sports Cars

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99LeCouch View Post
Eh, the 10w oil wasn't cold enough to affect things too badly. It was likely the old battery.

If it makes you feel any better, get some $20 synthetic 5w-30 or 5w-20 and change it.

Or dump in a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil. Some swear it helps cold-weather starting.
Good old Marvel Mystery Oil. I used to mix that with Xylene to make my own high-octane fuel.

I thought of an additive, but opinions vary so widely, that it could erupt in either a sales blitz or an "X is better than Y" discussion. I'll try out an additive and monitor startups.

I think this is the 3rd Winter that I said that the battery will probably go, so it's overdue. It still shows at least 12-13v across the terminals.

...and it turns out the PS belt was tensioned too tightly, so congrats to whoever played "Name That Sound" and got it right. 5-minute fix.

RH77

_
_
Old 12-04-2009, 07:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
How many miles do you have on that car?

If you're getting really up there, you may need to check your oil pressure. If it's a bit out of spec, it's a good chance you should rebuild/replace your oil pump, which can be done in a few hours in the driveway, without even removing any of the engine mounts.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...I'll make you'all feel good...yes, it occassionally does SNOW here in Tucson, AZ.

...that's why we call all the out-of-state winter visitors "SNOW BIRDS" -- not, true but it sounded good!
Old 12-04-2009, 11:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Sports Cars

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
How many miles do you have on that car?

If you're getting really up there, you may need to check your oil pressure. If it's a bit out of spec, it's a good chance you should rebuild/replace your oil pump, which can be done in a few hours in the driveway, without even removing any of the engine mounts.
Just shy of 150K. I've noticed more aging in the car this past year. Miscellaneous glitches and trim stuff here and there / now and then, but still Honda-solid. And easy to work on! Plus, it has survived some close calls with Storm Spotting

Honestly, I'll drive a rental car with 25K miles and turn it in -- then immediately hop-in Teggy, and still feel the quality and rugged simplicity that exceeds the new rental. Not always, but commonly. Something I don't feel in my Father-in-Law's 2005 Civic, with 105K miles. It's feels a bit worn, like they backed-off on the durability over the years -- still a good car, though.

I'll keep an eye on the oil pressure -- it might be a glitch this time around.

RH77

_
_
Reply  Post New Thread