View Single Post
Old 11-15-2009, 07:59 PM   #19 (permalink)
orange4boy
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
If half of the HP required to drive 55 is to push the car through the air, it stands to reason that there is a lot of HP available to redirect to the problem of form drag. Specifically, reduction in the form of pressure redistribution.

For example, If 50% of your drag at 55 is pressure drag, then a car that takes 20hp to go 55 would have 5hp to burn to break even. Using any less would be an improvement. 5hp to run a high flow turbine is a lot. I'll bet in the above story, they are using about a centrifugal compressor, not a piston compressor. If you run it off the exhaust, then you even use some waste heat and have even more hp to play with.

I was toying with the idea of a hole thru my van a while back and this makes that idea seem less crazy that it did at the time. Pressurize the air in that duct and you have something.

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.