View Single Post
Old 12-02-2009, 12:58 PM   #177 (permalink)
FastPlastic
Master EcoModder

98 Cherokee - '98 Jeep Cherokee
90 day: 17.18 mpg (US)

ZX7R Ninja - '99 Kawasaki ZX7R Ninja
90 day: 42.45 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNmpg2 View Post
Fastplastic - Great idea, I like it!

How does it do with the belt mounted fan blowing air around the compartment - any movement? How do you have it secured?
If you look closely the top turn of the flex hose to the left there was a hose near the air box. I just have the flex tube snug between the air box and that hose. Otherwise the tube is small enough to hold it's shape, so it won't really move.

The belt driven fan does affect it some as I will see the intake air temps rise when sitting at a light for a few seconds. But I think in all it's definitely helping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNmpg2 View Post
As much a recent (albeit slow) convert to ecomodding (mostly because I do it primarily for MPG reasons, but I like reducing my impact on the environment too!), I'm going to remove my shroud from my cold air intake for winter driving and try that out for a season (once I'm back to the states and all). I don't know if you are up to this, but I'm seriously considering converting over to an all electric engine fan vice the belt driven one that NEVER shuts off. I've heard wonderful things about that helping warm up time and taking some load off of the engine when you don't need cooling (ie, anytime below 30 degrees driving on level ground). Based on almost everything I've read, the fan and shroud out of a 95 year Ford Taurus is the best replacement (just takes some minor modification to the Ford fan-shroud for fitment) as it's the only one that can pull the 4000 CFM that the stock fan was capable of.

Man, I hate being away from my Jeep when I have all of these things I want to try! When I'm back, I'll be sure to post some pics!
I'm afraid I'm probably not up to the challenge of putting in the Taurus electric fan. I was however looking at the possibility of replacing the standard fan with one that was recommended by someone. It fans out the higher the speed, thus reducing the load on the engine at highway speeds anyway.

Adjusted for my driving habits. 80%city/20%Highway.
20mpg city/30mpg highway or bust! Check out my mods so far