View Single Post
Old 12-04-2009, 04:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
OK. I throw out the complaint because Fall returned to above-average temps, but the issue remains.

This may be more than obvious, but it probably bears mentioning...

I had the first outdoor "cold" start today (temps last night 15F; temp at time of start 30F; Coolant temp registered 35F).

Briefly after starting, the oil pressure light blinked, leading me to believe that the 10W oil (mixed with a band-aid of 1q of 0W-20 Synth) isn't thin enough to get pumping in the cold, right away. It also cranked much slower, likely since the 8 year old battery is tired, and the fluids were more viscous.

So then, it begs the question: after 1500 miles, do I bite the bullet, say I messed up with the wrong oil, and just change it out? I could probably save it for next summer, unless it "goes bad" or something. Better yet, "CL: 10W-30 Motor Oil, one owner, low miles. Free to a good home"?

If I change it, do I go with a higher-mileage formula, synth blend, all of the above???

Speaking of whining I think I put the PS belt on too tight and a pulley bearing is noisy at low RPM.

RH77
(...is going out to the garage fiddle with the belt)

_
_