View Single Post
Old 01-17-2010, 07:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Clev
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
I got the the car going with the starter in first gear, and shifted the rest of the way without the clutch. Getting home became an adventure in timing lights to avoid stopping ... or when stops were unavoidable, popping it into N and killing the engine when coming to a halt and using the 1st gear + starter trick to get moving again.
Recently, while chasing down a leaky clutch hydraulic hose in the Clunker, I lost the clutch two or three times. Fortunately, the starter could easily get the car moving in first (as long as I pressed the pedal down to get past the lockout switch) and shift without the clutch well enough to get home (even climbing up the hill--I can pretty much do the entire thing in third.)

When first learning to drive, my dad taught me in two MT vehicles--a Ford F100 with a three-on-the-tree, and a Honda CRX. By the time I got those two totally different vehicles down, I could pretty much drive anything. Fortunately, I married a wonderful woman who also could drive anything with a stick (heh.) While moving to Northern California before we were married, we took turns driving the 24-foot moving van with the diesel and 4-speed manual.