View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 05:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
orange4boy
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
I'm pretty confident mine should be ok impact wise. Most of my issues are with the ferry ramp which is a front airdam smasher. If the skirts start to get bashed then I can raise them by cutting some off the top and reinstalling them. The Prius has surprisingly stiff suspension.

I'm also planning to radius the bottom edge with foam or rubber.

I will have to see about the under car airflow issue. Restricting it with a deeper airdam will have to be my solution if that's needed. luckily the prius only has a slight overhang and a fairly smooth underbelly. Still needs a belly pan though.

I have seen some videos of a small splitter which is supposed to direct air over, but the smoke just got sucked under anyhow. Although that may have been because of an intended "vacuum" under the car.

I imagine having the boattail helps too because it lowers the pressure differential so there is less air getting "sucked" under.

I have some pics of my construction which I will post when I get a chance.

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.

The Following User Says Thank You to orange4boy For This Useful Post:
daqcivic (02-17-2010)