View Single Post
Old 04-04-2010, 08:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrstphrR View Post
This is a freeze to look and see if they can shake down more money out of people;
Except the number of converted EV's in the province is vanishingly small. I'd bet there are less than 25 on the road. I can't imagine that the number of people requesting registration of conversions has shot up dramatically.

Unless...

I wonder if the moratorium may have to do with someone/some people exploiting the EV registration process to bypass emissions testing.

At the local drivers/licenses office, the ForkenSwift's registration was ultimately changed from "g" (gasoline) to "e" without any supporting documentation/inspection required. Note that "e" also grants an exemption from the province's Drive Clean emissions program.

Theoretically, anyone could walk in and say "my car is electric" and get their registration changed.

I wonder if the ministry of transportation noted a spike in "e" registrations at some office(s) in the province. Imagine a used car dealer or curbsider discovering and exploiting this trick, registering a bunch of ICE vehicles as electrics to circumvent emissions compliance.

Quote:
Unfortunately, they went this way long ago with kit-cars, effectively legislating/regulating them out of existence in the province, by treating them as vehicles requiring full compliance to the myriad of crash tests and other compliance regulations that the major automakers must file for each model they sell.
This is how Ontario effectively prevented NEV's / LSV's from being sold (registered) in the province as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
Does this mean you might have to make the ForkenSwift into a hybrid? That wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.
Not sure what it means yet for the FS.

Quote:
Re-reading the first post, it seems that the moratorium affects not just homemade EVs, but also commercial ones, eh?
My understanding is that it's an issue only with people wanting to change from ICE to EV status.

The province hasn't made any public statement on this. It was discovered this spring by a couple of people who completed conversions and were reportedly denied the EV designation on their registration.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget