View Single Post
Old 07-03-2010, 10:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
NachtRitter
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
Honda VX intermittent speedo issue

Hi Folks,

Looking for some thoughts on how best to debug an intermittently working speedo on my 1994 Honda Civic VX with 320k+ miles.

Basically, the speedo (and odo) will work some of the time and not work the rest of the time. Going over a bump will sometimes change it from working to not working (or vice versa). I have no other issues with the instrument cluster (lighting is fine, no engine check codes, etc).

I'm not clear on the path from speed sensor to the speedo. Does the VSS signal go through the ECU first, or does it branch off before the ECU and essentially go to the speedo directly?

I figure points of failure could be the speed sensor itself (not sure how the ECU would react without VSS, if at all), the signal wiring / connections, power / ground to the speedo, or the speedo mechanism itself. Is there a "common" failure point that you would recommend checking first? (I searched on-line & the recommendations are all over the map, from "replace instrument cluster" to "replace vss sensor")

Appreciate any thoughts from those that are more familiar with Honda Civics than I...