View Single Post
Old 08-06-2010, 06:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
NachtRitter
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
Took out the speedo unit and disassembled it, but couldn't find anything obvious wrong with it... Basically, there are 3 connections, done via screws, from the back of the gauge housing to the speedo unit... (+), (-), and VSS. Those go to a single ckt board on the speedo, which then connects to (I think it was) 4 pins going to the rest of the speedo unit... looked like half go to the odo motor and the other half to the speedo needle motor (Sorry, forgot to snap pix!). I looked over the ckt board pretty thoroughly (IMO) and did not see anything that might be causing the intermittent outage issue.

As an aside, I (FINALLY!!) hooked up my mpguino, using the wire attached to the VSS signal on the back of the gauge cluster housing (as mentioned above), and it has been working flawlessly... in fact, since I now focus most of my "instrumentation" attention on the mpguino display, I'm not too concerned about the speedo not working anymore.

Eventually, though, I'll stop by the Pick 'n' Pull and grab a used speedo from there.