Thread: Window tint
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010, 10:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
Clev
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrews View Post
I just ran 1750 miles from sacramento ca to dallas tx. July 13-29 and back. I have tint installed at the legal limits for ca. I ADDED GILA(brand name) window FILM BLACK (peel and cling). to all the windows (except the front). I put a 9 inch strip across the top on the front. I can tell you that when I made a short stop, like for a potty break, I would come back to a car that was still cool. THat never happened in CA.
Understand I was basicly at 95% block. BUT man what a difference it made.
The GILA product is intended for house windows so the clarity was not what auto tint would be. But it was inexpensive, and very easy to install and temporary.
I have always tinted my cars and it does make a difference. Also, there is a difference between tint and film. And in the automotive line of products, there are basic tint and then a better product that was a metalic feature (I'm blanking on the brand) THe metalic product is the best BUT it can block gps signals. So if you have factory GPS, let your installer know.
Also almost ALL the automotive products block 99% uv rays regaudless of the % of tinting. YOu can actually get a clear that is 99% uv block.
Most of the upscale cars, I know mercedes and infiniti for sure, have a reflective quality on the glass that is installed already to keep the cars cooler. Mercedes tend to have a sight blue look to them from the factory.
There are so many disadvantages to film, I'll wait for actual A-B-A testing before deciding.

Now if only they'd sell Low-E replacement windshields... I'd pay extra for that.