View Single Post
Old 08-15-2010, 09:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
Clev
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varn View Post
Please don't go telling me I am wrong clev, you don't drive my roads. Frankly though if I were forced to live in a metro area I would probably continue to drive a tank.
Sorry Varn, the facts don't agree with you. Only 24 people died in car-deer crashes in the six-year period from 2002 through 2007. Three out of the four studied deaths in 2007 involved a motorcycle, and only one involved an automobile. Even if all five statewide deaths had occurred on your route, it's being overblown here.

Your second sentence above gets to the heart of the matter. You can make excuses (I haul a trailer once a week, I can't drive in snow, I have a lot of stuff that I have to carry with me that I use every day and need to carry with me everywhere, I'm afraid of deer), but those are rationalizations.

The number one way to get better mileage is to drive the appropriate vehicle for the conditions. Even a late 90's to early 2000's Buick can get 28-33 mpg and still provide a good part of the crash protection you're looking for. (And it might actually avoid the accident, something an Econoline probably won't do without rolling over.)

The Following User Says Thank You to Clev For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (08-16-2010)