View Single Post
Old 09-09-2010, 02:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
orange4boy
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
I was going to suggest buying an old electric forklift as you would get the batteries, valves, motors, pumps, cylinders.
That is a really good idea. The lowly forklift has so much potential. I was thinking of scavenging parts but with being on an island, the yards are just too hard to get to so it's mostly going to be new parts. I'm also kind of done with having to repair everything. It seems to take so much of my time. (that sounds silly since I will spend a huge amount of time building this from scratch) Also, there are so many deals to be had, I can't resist the shiny shiny.

I found a site that has charts to calculate piston velocity, force, etc.:http://www.haave.no/pdf/FactsWorthKn...Hydraulics.pdf
My pump is 24V, 5.4 hp with two pumps: a two stage pump 3.5 gph / .9 gph @2000psi and a continuous 2.5 gph pump which I don't have a use for yet.
According to the charts in the preceeding pdf, my pistons will travel at .07 m/s which sounds pretty good. Not racing along but fast enough for me.

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.