View Single Post
Old 10-20-2010, 12:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Clev
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
I've run many junkyard tires to the ground. I got them because they were cheap or free, depending on. Many of them had wonderful deep tread but sidewall cracking due to age and sitting outside, oftentimes flat (in their previous life on the junker). They are more prone to blowing out the sidewalls than new tires for sure. When a tire is in that condition (bad, deep, or numerous cracks, not little ones) I don't exceed sidewall max psi. I'd say if the other tires have nice tread and lack obvious sidewall defects, to go find another cheap used tire and keep running them all until there are more failures or it looks like more failures are imminent. I like extracting the last mile out of a tire and changing a flat at roadside is no problem for me and I don't mind it a bit- but others need to decide how big an inconvenience blowouts would be for them and what they are willing to pay to increase their odds of avoiding it.
Agreed. I get Craigslist used tires for the Clunker, since I'm the only one driving it. The most recent ones are a bit iffy, so I run them at four pounds BELOW sidewall max (40/44.)