View Single Post
Old 10-31-2010, 09:58 PM   #162 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Not impressive as an EV (only half the Leaf's range).
Not impressive with an ICE (worse FE than an Insight or Prius).
Range isn't the only measure of quality in an EV.
Insight and Prius are both hybrids - when the VOLT is running on gas, you really should just consider it an ICE, against other gas cars of the same weight class.

Raise your hands: How many people have seen a Volt in person, ridden in one, or drove one?

I haven't gotten to drive one yet, but as a back seat passenger, I had a great view of the dashboard and listened to every word between the driver and GM guy in the front passenger seat.

It rides really nice. Acceleration is VERY brisk. Chelsea Sexton told me how much she liked the acceleration on the Volt. When I rode in it, the driver accelerated from 55 to 75 mph on the freeway in about a second and a half, with zero engine revving noise. Comparing range to other EVs isn't really fair - that's almost more just a battery pack size thing. Besides, 40 miles on electric only is 40 miles farther than anyone else's car is going without gas right now.

I also don't think the the Volt HAS to be impressive as an ICE car. The Prius without a working motor system wouldn't have great fuel economy or acceleration.

I have been somewhat leary of GM's promises, but they really look like they are behind the Volt.

Saving weight, and other ways to really improve fuel economy would NOT sell more cars. In general, the American public "wants its cake and to eat it too." We want cars that are big, have air conditioning, great acceleration, etc - if it happens to be electric or get great fuel economy, all the better.

Half the Prius drivers I know LOVE the fuel economy that they can get, the other half LOVE how they can steep, drive terrible, run the AC at full blast and STILL get 40 mpg.

The Volt is trying to be all things to all people, and while I am generally against that (usually turns out to just be BAD at everything), I think they have struck a pretty nice balance with this vehicle.

I would not run out and buy a Volt, but only because I am NOT a new car buyer. I still look forward to getting to drive the Volt and ride/drive the Leaf, and hope for the best success of both as well as that of other coming vehicles like the Tesla S.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
The Following User Says Thank You to bennelson For This Useful Post:
Nevyn (11-01-2010)