Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2010, 09:25 PM   #161 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Bus - '94 Ford School Bus huge

Stupid - '01 Chevy Blazer LS
90 day: 21.38 mpg (US)

hawk - '00 Honda Superhawk
DCB,
You do realize that they used a motorcycle/4-wheeler engine/transmission. There is no way that you could get a 250cc turbo motorcycle engine to last for 100,000 miles. Sure, you could put the volt on a diet. Get rid of the heavy stuff, sound deadening, auto trans, put in lightweight race type seats : CorSport Online Store: Racing & Safety - Racing Seats & Rails - 070.91.UU11
As well as get rid of most creature comforts, like a/c, gps, spare tire (how may people can even replace one themselves), power steering, power brakes, etc.

I am sure that if you got rid of everything that isnt necessary for the vehicle to go down the road, it would be much lighter (think 600 lbs lighter). But, and this is the problem, they are hoping to sell it to people and not just run a what if scenario for the low percentage of people out there that might be you (I cant remember if you have sworn the volt off).

All and all, the edison is a neat vehicle, but its premise is theoretical. I would like to see you try to live with a four passenger, 800lb, 40hp vehicle that needs a rebuild before 25k miles comes up. This rebuild would cover a piston for sure, and would most likely necessitate the adjustment of valves every 10k miles. Is this the best design?, well its damn good for the rules they had to meet. Is it something that is viable for the road? No, not quite. How would you like to buy a brand new vehicle with a 60 day warranty?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-31-2010, 09:58 PM   #162 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Not impressive as an EV (only half the Leaf's range).
Not impressive with an ICE (worse FE than an Insight or Prius).
Range isn't the only measure of quality in an EV.
Insight and Prius are both hybrids - when the VOLT is running on gas, you really should just consider it an ICE, against other gas cars of the same weight class.

Raise your hands: How many people have seen a Volt in person, ridden in one, or drove one?

I haven't gotten to drive one yet, but as a back seat passenger, I had a great view of the dashboard and listened to every word between the driver and GM guy in the front passenger seat.

It rides really nice. Acceleration is VERY brisk. Chelsea Sexton told me how much she liked the acceleration on the Volt. When I rode in it, the driver accelerated from 55 to 75 mph on the freeway in about a second and a half, with zero engine revving noise. Comparing range to other EVs isn't really fair - that's almost more just a battery pack size thing. Besides, 40 miles on electric only is 40 miles farther than anyone else's car is going without gas right now.

I also don't think the the Volt HAS to be impressive as an ICE car. The Prius without a working motor system wouldn't have great fuel economy or acceleration.

I have been somewhat leary of GM's promises, but they really look like they are behind the Volt.

Saving weight, and other ways to really improve fuel economy would NOT sell more cars. In general, the American public "wants its cake and to eat it too." We want cars that are big, have air conditioning, great acceleration, etc - if it happens to be electric or get great fuel economy, all the better.

Half the Prius drivers I know LOVE the fuel economy that they can get, the other half LOVE how they can steep, drive terrible, run the AC at full blast and STILL get 40 mpg.

The Volt is trying to be all things to all people, and while I am generally against that (usually turns out to just be BAD at everything), I think they have struck a pretty nice balance with this vehicle.

I would not run out and buy a Volt, but only because I am NOT a new car buyer. I still look forward to getting to drive the Volt and ride/drive the Leaf, and hope for the best success of both as well as that of other coming vehicles like the Tesla S.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
The Following User Says Thank You to bennelson For This Useful Post:
Nevyn (11-01-2010)
Old 10-31-2010, 10:33 PM   #163 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoteach View Post
I would like to see you try to live with a four passenger, 800lb, 40hp vehicle that needs a rebuild before 25k miles comes up.
where do I sign? 25k is very speculative and plenty of small engines are capable of over 100k, but make enough of them and a new jug and piston can be very affordable, and easier to replace than an in-tank fuel pump. Do you not think people should be more involved with the maintenance of their own cars? Are you encroaching on an "everyone including dcb should puchase and drive tanks" mentality? What are US manufacturers building for the seriously efficiency minded folks? I would gladly give edison money if they were available, then build a solar still and maybe get in a shootout with the atf

Last edited by dcb; 10-31-2010 at 10:55 PM..
Old 10-31-2010, 11:18 PM   #164 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Bus - '94 Ford School Bus huge

Stupid - '01 Chevy Blazer LS
90 day: 21.38 mpg (US)

hawk - '00 Honda Superhawk
You are absolutely correct that not everyone should buy tanks, and I do think more people should be involved with the maintenance of their vehicles. I also think that we do not have enough mass transit. I am an automotive teacher in a high school. recently I was talking to my students about mass transit, the cost, and the free options (buss). I had a student actually stop driving after covering the cost benefits.

As for the edison, the 250 motor used is of the dirtbike variety. Engine durability is related to the stress levels that are put on the engine. 40 hp is a heavy load from that displacement.
COMPLETE TOP & BOTTOM END KIT | MotoSport
this would be the type of rebuild I would expect at or before 25k. There are much better engines to be chosen for longevity, but that wasnt what they were working towards for the competition.

Here is my problem... comparing a prototype vehicle with no design parameters meeting longevity expectations as part of its goals to a road going, fully approved and functioning vehicle is much like... well comparing the prototype volt to the actual volt. go figure...
Old 11-01-2010, 02:19 AM   #165 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Aveo - '08 Chevolet Aveo LS
as the reference to dirt bike motors came up is slightly related to my post about a 2 cylinder 1L turbo diesel, I'd like to say... it depends on the strain you put on it

Turbo 1L in my description would run continuously, without too much strain being placed on it, because in my ideal, a lot of the strain will be carried by a heat differential motor instead.

Leanburn is key for me.

I'm considering taking what I posted there, reformatting it, and making a dedicated post about it.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
chevy volt, failure, hybrid