View Single Post
Old 11-04-2010, 04:11 PM   #23 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmOoTh! View Post
Does poland have a "TÜV"? Denmark for example doesn´t have one.
[...]
I can ask the "TÜV" tomorrow.
I guess you can call it that. A mess of regulations and a technical exam (first after 3 years, then after two, and every year after that) to make sure I comply to them. The inpection checks that my emissions aren't too dirty, headlights well aligned, brakes in order, etc. Groar took his stuff off for his exam, and my wheelskirts will go off for a day, since the wheels will probably be inspected for dents and cracks, so I'd rather not have someone else tampering with them. But my Kammback will stay on, since it is by no means permanent (gone in less than 1 minute, but only if you know how to do it). My first inspection with this car will be in two weeks, so I'll see how everything goes.

And yes, every light bulb I install must be certified and approved! So far, my car's only encounters with the police are when they take pictures with their private cell phones. Except for one speeding ticket (yeah, even hypermilers get them every once in a while), but they didn't care about the car then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Spotter View Post
Look at what Piwoslaw did. I am no expert on the EU but is he not under the same rules as you?
In theory - yes. European metalaws are born in Brussels, but every country must ratify them before that country starts to comply. And each country has its own reasons for not ratifying as soon as possible. Very similar to the US, where some states mandate external mirrors, while others don't care about them, or each has its own emissions standards (eg CARB) while still having to comply to EPA. For example, countries in northern and central Europe require driving with lights even when it's not dark, year round. But in certain parts of Greece and Portugal, using daytime running lights is illegal. Or take a look at the British - They still think in miles and drive on the wrong side of road! Now how safe is that?!?

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread