View Single Post
Old 11-07-2010, 04:37 AM   #67 (permalink)
NHRABill
EcoModding Apprentice

Tahoe - '95 Chevrolet Tahoe LT
90 day: 13.22 mpg (US)

SRX - '04 Cadillac SRX AWD

XL - '05 Harley Davidson Sportster XL
90 day: 49.97 mpg (US)

Alero - '02 Oldsmobile Alero GLS

Corvette - '75 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray
Wow I thought there would be more love for the Volt on this forum. Guess not, well I drove one today anyhow, and living in New Jersey I am excited. I love listening to the Euro guys (no disrespect) talking about the High mileage turbo diesel cars they have. the only problem I see for those of us in the States is that those vehicles cannot pass safety standards over here. they also fail our emission standerds in many areas. Yes it is true that the emissions varies from state to state and they would fail miserably in mine. So the 80mpg or even 50mpg turbo diesel Family car does not and will not exist here unless you make one or modify one to do so.

My thoughts on the Volt is its expensive but 1st generation of a completely new technology. You can read the TRUE connection that the ICE has with the electric motors here

Clearing Up Confusion About the Chevrolet Volt | Volt

Just another Side Note on how normal driving 127mpg can easily be obtained.
Guys at motor trend did a nice article here:

127 MPG: This Volt Story Must Be Told - Motor Trend Blog

So be a hater on the styling or that it isn't running on a more expensive fuel like diesel. Ponder the material of the 9.1gallon fuel tank and laugh at the exhaust cutout that can only be seen from underneath. Remember that this is the 1st generation and prices will come down, batteries will improve and that it may not fit everyones needs. I sure don't need one but I would like to have one. I live in the state with the Highest car insurance in the nation my downpayment alone for a 6 month policy is more then some of you pay in 5 years. Gas is average with the rest of the country and diesel is always expensive. E85 is not available here and traffic can only be rivaled by LA or Washington DC during a rally. Living in the most densly populated state sucks to say the least and driving is often a nightmare. Having an electic alternative by a top world manufacturer creating competition is a good thing for us all. This will mainstream everything, creating a new market for EV vehicles we should celebrate the Volt and not knock it.

My situation and does the Volt fit me?
I Have:
2005 Harley Gets 55mpg odometer3,200 miles
2004 Cadillac SRX averages 22mpg odometer 99,500 miles
2002 Oldsmobile Alero GLS averages 26mpg odometer 42,000 miles
1995 Chevrolet Tahoe now averages 15.2mpg odometer 203,000 miles
1975 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray averages 1/2 mile per Gallon on Methanol and 7 MPG on Gas 6-71 supercharged drag car coverted back to gas for street use next spring.

For ME the Volt would be Awesome I work from home my wife takes the train into NYC 3 times a week so I drive 2 miles to the station and another 2 miles to drop my daughter at daycare. The Grocery store is 2 blocks away along with every other needed convenience. I average 12,000 miles a year driving combined on all my vehicles. 5 years ago I averaged 45,000 miles a year, I am not ready for a Volt but in a couple years I will need to replace a few cars with something newer and safer. Chances are it will be a Volt.

The Following User Says Thank You to NHRABill For This Useful Post:
Cd (11-11-2010)