View Single Post
Old 04-18-2008, 08:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvatum View Post
Any idea what the equivalent MPG would be on a cost basis, as in how much gas could the money you spent on electricity purchase you?
Good question. The EV is costing about 2.5 cents per mile for electricity @ 8 cents / kWh. With gasoline around $1.10/L or $4.15/gal US, it costs 4.15 cents per mile @ 100 mpg.

Quote:
Also equivalent CO2 output would be interesting, that depends upon the source of the energy of course.
When I drive it, the FS eats only the finest renewable energy, hydroelectric & wind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
That is interesting with a block heater you might of beat it.
I wonder... because to be fair I would have had to include the power usage

Quote:
I've noticed with my bike that the efficiency goes way down on short trips. If I go 5 miles and recharge it's a lot worse then if I go 30 miles and recharge.
I've noticed the same thing with the car. It's due to the charging algorithm - there are certain "overheads" in charging that I have to pay, regardless of whether I drove 1 km or 15. Spread it over 15 km and the overall energy picture is better. But it's harder on the batteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennelson View Post
I gotta say this is an unfair battle of cars. You have a homebrew electric with really beat up batteries vs a totally pimped-out ecomodder gas car.
Ding ding ding! You're absolutely correct!

This is in no way apples:apples. The gas car also has WAY better tires (LRR) on it, and is mechanically in perfect condition. In at least 3 points of the route I was able to keep coasting the Flea where I would have been driving the EV.

I suspect when we put the fresher battery pack back in the car this summer, there will be a noticeable jump in efficiency as well.

On top of that, the ForkenSwift has a bad front wheel bearing and the front wheel alignment is off. You should hear it!

In better condition, I'd expect the FS would be untouchable. We'll see - the bearing will be replaced this summer, the fresher pack installed, and I'll line up the front wheels. Maybe I'll even swap the Flea's LRR wheels/tires onto it just for an experiment.

I'm guessing 130 mpge...
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget