View Single Post
Old 11-18-2010, 03:45 PM   #23 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBecker View Post
I don't see the current J1772 approach as bad.
Standardization is a good thing. It's just that as it is right now, the J1772 has been a very expensive connector.

If a person was to build an EV from scratch right now, they COULD put a J1772 connector on their car, BUT that would then only work at official charging stations.

That still wouldn't allow them to charge from standard outlets. Most charging goes on at home, so either a J1772 OUTLET would have to be installed in the garage, or have a dedicated adapter, converting from J1772 to something more standard. (That's what all the new factory-bult EVs will have - J1772 connections, with a adapter carried in the trunk to allow to connect to 120V AC)

Tesla owners have a "variety pack" of power adapters available to them in the Tesla on-line store.

Many less-expensive home-brew electric cars only have 120V AC chargers on them. They work fine. They are less expensive. It seems wrong to have to buy a higher power, more expensive charger just to be able to use a public charging station.

Vehicles like NEVs almost never have anything more than a 16A 120V charger on them.

Charging stations are also NOT inexpensive. Many of them are around $5000 or so. It doesn't seem right to spend that kind of money on a glorified electric outlet, that I can't even plug my car into.

My two cents: I am more than happy just having access to a plain old electric outlet. For all the new cars coming out that will need a lot of juice, just make sure the charging stations support both J1772 level two charging and Edison plug 15 amp 120V AC level 1 charging.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos