View Single Post
Old 11-23-2010, 02:53 PM   #20 (permalink)
Clev
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by todayican View Post
One thing I was thinking was, during "drive mode" for the gen (If its a dc gen anyway) one could bypass the batts and controller alltogether, gaining whatever efficiency might be lost on the controller itself and just drive the traction motor with the gen and modulate the gens throttle to adjust speed.
You probably don't want to do that. You'll either need to massively oversize the generator (reducing efficiency), or continually switch from gen to controlller whenever you need to accelerate a little bit.

Quote:
Ill be using 60ah thundersky batteries and asking as much as 7.5c from them during full power acceleration (possibly too much, need to do more research)

What if, I limited it to 380a max from the battery pack alone and if I really need a lot of amps, (going up a big hill, etc) add the gen in for the full 450 so the batts would not have to put out more then 6.3c on their own?
I remember this conversation from the EVDL, and I seem to remember them saying that whatever extra the generator provides reduced the load on the batteries. So if you are pulling 7.5C at the controller, but pouring in 2C from the generator, the batteries see it as a 5.5C load. So yes, this would work.

You want to figure out what your cruising consumption is, and then try to size your generator to put out that much, plus a few percent to cover acceleration, hills, etc. That way, your generator is sized to its maximum efficiency. At best, it will have to cycle off occasionally (if you have a tailwind), and at worst, you may have to stop occasionally on a long drive (if you have a headwind) and let it charge for an hour.