Thread: Eaarth
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 08:41 AM   #131 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Guess what? If too much ice melts in Greenland, and the fresh water lowers the salinity of the surrounding ocean -- the Gulf Stream current could stop! It is already much slower and weaker than usual -- and guess what the Gulf Stream current does?

It keeps the UK much warmer than it should otherwise be! Look at Google Earth and line up the latitude lines of the UK with other countries...

Guess what happens when the Gulf Stream stops flowing (among many nasty results)?

The UK will go into an ice age. So, you are seeing the very real results of Global Climate Change.
Sorry but this is bollocks. Fear promotors can't have it both ways.

On the one hand we are being told that snow is a thing of the past (I'm still looking at 3-4 feet outside) and this winter was predicted as mild. This prediction was based on the same software and models that meteorologists use to construct their predictions, such as the gulf stream change you mention.

And if this is a measurable cause and effect then why during previous Greenland thaws did the UK also experience a warm period - surely if the gulf stream was affected so badly then the UK would have frozen.

Its kind of like heads I'm wrong, tails you're right.