View Single Post
Old 12-31-2010, 03:52 PM   #25 (permalink)
Clev
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cujet View Post
Plus, I load up the back with gravel for the driveways, mulch for the flower beds, potting soil for my raised garden and so on. There is no way on God's green earth that a small vehicle can move that much weight. I suppose a bed chock full of gravel is about 3000 pounds!

Plus, I can tow my 26 foot travel trailer from FL, to TN without difficulty. While carrying said 4 wheeler and dirt bike.

However, I don't use it as a daily driver. That's a waste of a perfectly good and long lasting, hard working truck.
And that's the key. I have a 4x4 Ranger. It's used for hauling heavy stuff around and for commuting on the rare occasions where a snowstorm makes my Honda unusable even with chains. The truck sees well under 2,000 miles per year. The problem is that people insist on a 3/4 ton truck to haul around a jetski, and then complain that gas is too expensive when they use it as a daily driver. (And then they insist that they can't afford $2,500 for a car to use as a daily driver, even as they're taking the jetski to the river every weekend in the summer.)

I have a family member who pays a $400 per month truck payment for a Dodge Ram 1500 crew cab longbed. She now barely makes her bills because it costs so much for gas and insurance. She has never, in the year she's owned it, had more than one passenger in the thing, and she's NEVER put ANYTHING in the bed. Yet she insisted on having this truck, and mocked me for daring to suggest she buy a compact truck or, god forbid, a car.