View Single Post
Old 01-03-2011, 01:35 AM   #68 (permalink)
darcane

Quote:
Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
I agree that drivers rely too much on the car's fancy gadgets, and don't actually know how to drive. My Jeep has ABS, but it rarely kicks in, as I typically threshold brake, and stay off the brakes when turning in snow/ice. If/when it does kick more than once or on multiple wheels, that is a signal to ease up on the brakes a little.

It has no traction control, etc. Rear diff is limited slip, front is open. My friends all get freaked out at me driving around in a couple inches of snow and/or slush in 2wd, and that I'm not terrified when it slides a bit around a slushy corner. There are some corners where I'll pop it in 2wd and gas it very lightly to make the rear end slide a bit, then pull it back into 4wd as I clear the corner, as it's far easier to get through the corner that way at 5-10 mph than by crawling 2mph to make the tight, uphill turn and risk getting stuck in deep, icy slush from too little momentum.

People also find it strange that I downshift to slow down, particularly in snow and ice, and will hold a lower gear in the snow. In bad snow, I've crawled down a couple of steep hills in 4lo, 2nd gear to keep my speed down to 5-6 mph without the brakes.

I was taught how to drive in snow the right way: in a big, empty parking lot. I'm only 18, but the extra crap (traction control, stability control) is just annoying IMO, and impedes the driver's ability to actually drive the vehicle.
On the rare occasion I'm in a 4wd, I always drive in 2wd until I get to a point where I can't get further in 2wd and then use 4wd to get unstuck, then put it back in 2wd and continue on. Relying on 4wd all the time tends to get you into a situation that is REALLY bad.

I've only owned 2wd vehicles since I don't go offroading and I have only once been in a situation where I needed 4wd on a regularly maintained road. And I've been in some nasty situations. Good tires will get you anywhere you need to go.

You seem to be a far better driver than most kids your age. Just remember you always have more to learn, so don't get too cocky out there.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods