View Single Post
Old 04-26-2008, 08:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
The button to pop the trunk is hidden inside the driver's door pocket. Some older models had it in the glove box.

Our 96 Volvo 850 wagon 5 speed (non turbo) with an older version of the same 5 cylinder engine can manage 32mpg highway so the 29 mpg is totaly in line with expectations. The first 6 years of the S60, volvo offered a non turbo and a 5 and 6 speed manual in America on both turbos and non turbos. You could even get a 5 speed wagon. Unfortunately they decided to stop importing these versions a couple of years ago. The manual transmission is being relegated to "sporty" models like the C30 and C70. Oh well. That 5 cylinder engine dates all the way back to 1991 yet its still a pleasure to drive today. It was way ahead of its time. The 3500lb weight of the S60 is very disappointing. A 2001 or 2002 NA 5 speed would make an excellent used buy. Unfortunately new volvos depreciate faster than yesterday's newspaper.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/car/651799591.html
I have to agree that the 5-Cylinder is a excellent engine (in NA or Turbo form). I drove 3 NA versions of the S40 and was completely amazed at the torque response combined with FE. Rumor has it, they're going to design an S60 to "Rival BMW's 3-Series", which likely means a V-6 and more weight.

On a side note, my "Uncle-in-Law" had a 240-series for over 20-years. Not a single problem in that span. He owned a small-town auto-parts store and really maintained it (and also knew what vehicles broke down around town). They've since sold the store. retired, and moved on. They tried an S60 for a while, but ended up with a BMW since "Volvo isn't the same anymore".

When they were new, I really liked the look of the mid-90's 850. I think the brand is slowly loosing it's roots ever since Ford entered the picture. Not as dramatic as the Saab-GM relationship, though.

One final comment. The car I tested would flat-out corner on a dime. I returned it this morning and took a downhill-into-exit ramp loop at my usual speed (if no one was ahead -- no brakes ). Wow. I kept having to tell myself "Stop! Turbo bad!" But I think that's where most of us came from at this site, and have since rehabilitated.

Thanks for the reply...

RH77

_
_