View Single Post
Old 02-27-2011, 07:05 AM   #13 (permalink)
LUVMY02CREW
EcoModding Apprentice

TANK the fifth - '02 Chevrolet S10 Crew Cab 4x4 LS
90 day: 20.44 mpg (US)
Seems like a Watson type of system could be configured in the future. I remember just enough of the movie "Eagle Eye" to think it has a slight chance of coming to fruition one of these days.

I think I have heard about a concept of traffic pattern recogniton systems being developed(so that vehicles could travel tighter together at a higher rate of speed and still get better mpg) and also, some type of sensors embedded in the roadway so the car will stay on course instead of weaving like we do. I just can't remember enough about it to know what to search for right now.

Imagine........
- a satellite hookup linked system, so minimal weight added to car.
- the computer would learn and relate info about main long sections of the hwy system so it could optimize everyone's speed and following distance.
- Every driver would have the ability to override the system according to their own observations/preferences.
- Drivers would pick a saved route in the system so it could help optimize your cars mpg's on a particular route that day(ie: commute to work, vacation drive to the beach, trip to out of town relative, etc...)

I can see this happening in the future. But driver awareness controls/systems would have to be built in to make sure the driver is paying attention to their driving and surroundings so everyone could be safe.