Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2011, 11:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
FuelSipper

HondaHokie - '95 Honda Accord DX 4 door
90 day: 26.91 mpg (US)
I've thought about doing a machine learning type excercise on Ecomodder's garage database. I was going to pull in the information from the database and do some data mining on the types of methods and mods that produce better FE. Is there a way to get the database information easily?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-26-2011, 10:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Tahoe - '95 Chevrolet Tahoe LT
90 day: 13.22 mpg (US)

SRX - '04 Cadillac SRX AWD

XL - '05 Harley Davidson Sportster XL
90 day: 49.97 mpg (US)

Alero - '02 Oldsmobile Alero GLS

Corvette - '75 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray
The tech is out there to have a cruise control follow or tail a car at a distance as well as brake for you if you are too close.

There are thousands of sensors and calcs that a car already does for AWD judging traction as well as suspension sensors that auto tune your ruide. This is not new this is just different using a program and some added sensors a car can judge the grade of the hill and its distance to the bottom.

keeping the system nothing more than a glorified cruise control that works in reverse to maintain speed by extending its knowledge of what is ahead you can set max and minimum speeds all else is no different from what you now have. You wouldn't use cruise control in middle of a city and this is not an autopilot. It will help increase your FE on those longer highway commutes better than a non hypermiller could do. Lets face it even the best hypermiller slacks sometimes by a distraction this wouldn't and it would make up for its ineffiencey by being perfect when engaged.

Sounds Like a cool "Eco" "Green" or whatever the trendy word a car company is using, thing to do
1975 Corvette Stingray *active*
1994 Camaro Z28 Convertible 149k *Sold 2013*
1998 Blazer ZR2 189k *Sold 2012*
1995 Tahoe LT 250k *Sold 2011*

Old 02-27-2011, 07:05 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

TANK the fifth - '02 Chevrolet S10 Crew Cab 4x4 LS
90 day: 20.44 mpg (US)
Seems like a Watson type of system could be configured in the future. I remember just enough of the movie "Eagle Eye" to think it has a slight chance of coming to fruition one of these days.

I think I have heard about a concept of traffic pattern recogniton systems being developed(so that vehicles could travel tighter together at a higher rate of speed and still get better mpg) and also, some type of sensors embedded in the roadway so the car will stay on course instead of weaving like we do. I just can't remember enough about it to know what to search for right now.

Imagine........
- a satellite hookup linked system, so minimal weight added to car.
- the computer would learn and relate info about main long sections of the hwy system so it could optimize everyone's speed and following distance.
- Every driver would have the ability to override the system according to their own observations/preferences.
- Drivers would pick a saved route in the system so it could help optimize your cars mpg's on a particular route that day(ie: commute to work, vacation drive to the beach, trip to out of town relative, etc...)

I can see this happening in the future. But driver awareness controls/systems would have to be built in to make sure the driver is paying attention to their driving and surroundings so everyone could be safe.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:28 AM   #14 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...oh my gosh, don't let Microstuff's "The Cloud" anywhere NEAR my car!

...I'll be pushing "CTRL-ALT-DEL" everyother mile trying to "RESET" the blue-screen of death!

Reply  Post New Thread