View Single Post
Old 03-06-2011, 06:17 PM   #122 (permalink)
ShadeTreeMech
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo434 View Post
There is a member testing the magnets with a similar car to me. It's taking longer than I anticipated because of car drivability issues.
Uh oh, I know who that member is.........me.

I consider hondo to be a decent chap, a very likeable person, and one willing to spend his money for someone else to extend the use of their vehicle as an expiremental device.

After applying the magnets to the fuel line, I saw no change whatsoever. No to be dissuaded, Hondo sent me a more powerful strip of magnets to be appled to the airstream close to the throttle body. There was indeed an immediate response in the car's performance--it nearly quit working altogether. Why, I don't know, you could easily chock it up to nearly 200K worth of existence over 13 years not being willing to be used as an experimental vessel, but the effect disappeared as soon as I removed the magnets. Sad thing is, I left the magnets in my house and my 5 beautiful daughters thought 10 tiny powerful magnets were the coolest toy in the world and lost them.

My suspicion is for a magnet to be powerful enough to affect the fuel or air of a ICE, it would require a dangerously powerful magnet, and that is neither cost effective nor advisable. I would offer that the magnets did affect the engine performance, albeit negatively. It may simply be a matter of changing the polarity of the magnets, or sheilding the magnets from sensitive components.

But I wouldn't harbor personal attacks on hondo, nor encourage them. I suspect the reason he saw a result wasn't the magnets doing their thing, but the result of it not being a double blind test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.